Colonial clasp? Shoe clog buckle? Badge?

GWash

Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• Colonial clasp.jpg
    Colonial clasp.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 620
From what I am told they are dug with colonial 1700's relics and no later dated items are on the home site where found with a metal detector.

Upvote 0
Hello Herb,
Can you tell me where I can see a picture of one of these Amish buckles? What date are they new or old? Remember these are very small a 1/2inch wide by 3/4 inch tall maybe a little wider and taller not much. Thank You.

Upvote 0
Hello Iron Patch,
I can't do that the terms I used are not correct or can't be confirmed as there are no reference articles on the internet or books that I know of that show these are clasp or buckles-fasteners. Some say they are latchets for clogs which George Juno claimed to them to be in an article in W&E Treasure in 2001. He is wrong and all terms used are incorrect when research is applied. I have checked purse string pulls-clip, bonnet clasp or braces, silk wrist band clasp-latch-fastener, book clasp, metal clothing accoutrements of the 18th century, hat, breeches, document pouches, leather strap fasteners and anything you can think of to no avail in the colonial era. There are no illustrations or print plate examples or pictures of these items using all the words or terms I discribe above. I need diggers to tell me if they are finding these pieces and what states. I have been digging 30 years and I have dug 17 george washington buttons and one of a kind Rev War buttons or anything you can think of 18th century but not one of these pieces and it appears you have not either. I was hoping to hear from you and you tell me you have dug some. I want to know what these are for so it can be shared with the digging community as well as some additional information I have.

Upvote 0
Hello Hutsitedigger,
Your name gives me hope you have dug some of these pieces. I have not posted the front as every piece I know of has a different design so if the front is used it would limit the question to a particular pattern which is not what I want to do and have someone not respond because there piece is a different pattern or design. I am looking for confirmation diggers are finding these pieces and what states. The design would be of less importance to me. This is why I show only the back of these clips-clasp-fasteners to show there form and shape or construction form. They seem to be made of brass or copper.
Thank You.

Upvote 0
I have seen these before in a Civilian artifact book of 18th & 19th century, i believe i have seen them. The book is @ another location and i won't be there til Monday. In the mean time CCHunter or CannonBallGuy may have a good word for these. Also if you get a chance post some of those GW Buttons in "My Best finds" thread those would be kewl too see! good luck.

Upvote 0
Hello Hutsitedigger,
Any help you can provide will be appreciated with these clasp,the GW buttons I am not much of a poster of my finds but I will give you this. One is an R-7 one known and two others are not in Alberts book. UNKNOWN. One is solid SILVER only GW known made of this metal. Priceless. Real eye candy makes you cry its so unreal with a wicked mean looking eagle and large GW monogram initials on the side of the eagles neck then it makes you laugh with joy because the unreal becomes real when you feel it in your hand.Of course the other example is also one known. When I say one known I mean mine is the only example of its type it is not in any book. Last November I dug a 21st Regiment British sword belt plate 4 known they surrendered at Saratoga two days later I dug WI-21 GW button. Never seen one of these WI-21 buttons displayed, bought, sold or dug in 30 years nice button. Any help you can provide for these clip-clasp will be appreciated and needed as every bit of information small or large will help.

Upvote 0
Didn't read this all, but its a late 18th C Clog Clasp

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back