Coin of some sort? HELP!

Ben0909

Greenie
May 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this coin a while ago and put it to one side meaning to find out what it is but never did!

The coin is a gold colour however im quite sure its not made out of gold as it is very light about the weight of a 5p coin. Its about 2cm in diameter and extremely thin about 1mm. It has weird symbols on, but i have no idea from what language. I also have a strong feeling this is something to do with religion.

On one side there seems to be a warrior possibly greek by the looks of him not sure though! He is holding a spear with a cross on one end going across his body pointing downwards and there appears to be some sort of halo over his head or maybe his helmet hard to tell.

On the other side there is a shield divided into four sections with different images on each section. Above the shield is another cross.. And it appears to all be in a old weighing type thing.

Thats everything i think but if theres anything else you would like to know i can find out!

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks! photo (1).JPGphoto (2).JPGphoto.JPG

I wonder what test method the shop used... check it carefully for flat spot on edge where it might have been rubbed on a test stone. if this was the method used it would have seriously devalued your find if genuine. a coin person would not have done that and would likely know real from fake just from a quick look. I found no info on copies of your particular coin, but did find a Richard II for $42, and according to the description it is solid gold, "These reproduction coins have the same weight, metal alloy and fineness in detail, as the originals from the historical era." I'm ordering 500 of them to start :laughing7:. Richard II Angel Replica Coins - WR-R3DSCOIN by Medieval Collectibles Best to you and keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Im going to the jewellers soon so i will find out! Im a 16 year old kid it would be pretty low of them to swap it and give me back a fake if it was real.. but i doubt they would do something like that anyway! All part of the learning process i guess

I very much doubt they acquired a replica in the short period they had your coin for a swap.

Upvote 0
Keep us posted. Don't trust anyone with a possible valuable find. If that is a real gold coin, it is a real gem, and people will take advantage. If its not real, don't give up, its actually quite an interesting find, even if its fake I would keep it, its a great story. UK is full of history and treasure, you will find some if you haven't already. Also this forum has a good bit of people in the UK, and they can probably help you out with references for good shops to work with on things.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back