Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would see a heavy blank disc, I'm going to try the Andre's pencils. It's too thick for a button but even with several different types of lenses, uncleaned, I can't see anything.

Upvote 0
Oh, phooey! This means I have to get off the couch!

Here goes 18mm. Too thick for a button. Found on a site that goes back to 1650. View attachment IMG_1400.jpgView attachment IMG_1401.jpg IMG_1402.jpgView attachment IMG_1403.jpgIMG_1404.jpgIMG_1404.jpgIMG_1406.jpgIMG_1405.jpg

The first two pics are as found. Third and fourth dry cleaned somewhat with Andre's pencils. Last ones shown dampened. Plus a ca 1650 buckle found nearby. Got a lot more stuff there, going back soon. This is an untouched colonial home. We found pottery from 1750-1770, plus other stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
NO, you LOVE being a pain! Working on it....

View attachment IMG_1407.jpg The unidentified copper is 30mm.

The small coin is the size of a Sommer Islands coin 1615-1617.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have scoured all the books I have and on the net some I don't. I THINK this is a Sommers Islands two pence, early 17th century. The site was founded about 25 years after the coins were struck, so this is not inconceivable. I will work on it some more but can make out a few details. It is in bad shape, however.

Upvote 0
That old copper looks like the ones I dig...toasted! :BangHead:

I still love finding them in the fields! :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
It could also be a flat button that lost it's loop/shank and was worn smooth over the years.

Upvote 0
Toasted is correct. I think I will be able to pull something off of it. Absolutely not a button, I have dug thousands of buttons, no evidence of a shank and it's too thick.

Upvote 0
Not a Sommer Islands coin. If it is too thick for a button, then it is way too thick to be a Sommers Island coin. They were lightweight and thin. I have found buttons that were thicker than any coin I have found. Could be almost any larger copper coin that has corroded to a smaller size, a token, or a thick button.

Upvote 0
Toasted is correct. I think I will be able to pull something off of it. Absolutely not a button, I have dug thousands of buttons, no evidence of a shank and it's too thick.
Well, I'm in the button camp. Founds thousands of buttons & some/not many have no signs at all that a shank was once fixed.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. Some of the other coins were readable. Lots of odd stuff in that field. Also, my idea of "thick" is a little thinner than a modern US dime.

Upvote 0
Hello Cat!

It probably was a coin...until you dug it up and sandpapered it with your fingers! Trying to rub up an identifying mark. LOL ;)

Actually, unless my eyes deceive me. Is this item a little more flat on one side? Like a dome worn down? Appears to be a button to me or...some coin with which I'm unfamiliar.

In any case, glad you got out and found!

Upvote 0
If not a coin the most likely suspect would be a flat button with no shank or perhaps an electrical box "knock out" or "punch out".

Upvote 0
Looks like a flatbutton to me, but I can usually see the remnants of the shank. Good luck with the ID

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back