Did a Sawpit start the Legend?

Armchair detective

May 21, 2024
Finding a video showing how they work is preliminary to this discussion. Of note is the requirement that a pit be built with a wooden floor AT TEN FEET.

Did the original three just find a filled in old pit?

Was Lunenburg the closest shipyard at the time, and when did it begin operations?

Was a ship built or repaired on the island?

Some historical info is needed here.

Arm chair detective

Good point.

Here is an example of a partially abandoned filled in one. It would not be stretch of imagination to think some thing like treasure was buried there? Especially if the was pulley over pit which would be been used to help move logs over the pit. Timber planks could of been on the floor to stop the bottom sawyer have his feet constantly sinking in mud.

Kennox_sawpit_1.JPG

Kennox_sawpit_3.JPG

Kennox_sawpit_4.JPG

487649_81_53118_AaVT5_f2A.jpg

487652_81_53118_MuyNX_uCu.jpg

Logs had been cut down in the past on the island people lived there. Maybe not boat building but certainly cutting timber into planks could of been the allusion of pit that was in a sink hole.

That could account for bits and pieces of history that been claimed to have been found on the show. those items that have not been planted that is.

on that note

This old black birdie thinks some thing else will be discovered on curse of Oak Island before long? ya have PM me for that one.

Crow

Am surprised that nobody has jumped in with the obvious point that this explanation doesn't account for all the lower platforms in the pit.

Your pictures are interesting but to me looks like an old basement. A stone wall for a Sawpit? My impression of sawpits is that they are temporary, lasting just long enough to lumber out the surrounding area.

Still, the rough cut stone wall... doesn't seem to have any type of mortar...looks old.

A good place for a coin shoot?

Am surprised that nobody has jumped in with the obvious point that this explanation doesn't account for all the lower platforms in the pit.

Your pictures are interesting but to me looks like an old basement. A stone wall for a Sawpit? My impression of sawpits is that they are temporary, lasting just long enough to lumber out the surrounding area.

Still, the rough cut stone wall... doesn't seem to have any type of mortar...looks old.

A good place for a coin shoot?
The platforms could serve as one or two things...shoring to reduce the indentation from ground settling or intisement to further dig in that location. The better question is why was it filled in between each layer? No access between the platforms. No water till they dug past the 90' mark...hmmm, that is where the supposed 90' stone was telling them to dig deeper..."Man can be lead down bad or false paths"...

The platforms could serve as one or two things...shoring to reduce the indentation from ground settling or intisement to further dig in that location. The better question is why was it filled in between each layer? No access between the platforms. No water till they dug past the 90' mark...hmmm, that is where the supposed 90' stone was telling them to dig deeper..."Man can be lead down bad or false paths"...
That's a good question.
I'll guess that there was originally a mine shaft there with a nearby LARGE dirt pile.
It would look strange if you filled in say only the top three levels, smoothed it over to make a nice unremarkable clearing, and there's this giant pile of dirt.
Whaddya think?

That's a good question.
I'll guess that there was originally a mine shaft there with a nearby LARGE dirt pile.
It would look strange if you filled in say only the top three levels, smoothed it over to make a nice unremarkable clearing, and there's this giant pile of dirt.
Whaddya think?
That is a good conclusion but in the original story of the pit, the boys found the tree with either an indentation of either a rope frictioning against the overhanging branch or it was a piece of a block and tackle still attached to the branch. They say that the boys found the indentation in the ground and when they dug just a little way down they came across a layer of flagstone. Once the removed that they hit the first level of timber at 10' and timbers at every 10' after that. They have discovered the Dead Sea Scrolls in a cave outside of Jerusalem. The scrolls contained the Book of Enoch. Read the description of the vault that Enoch had built in honor of God. Then look at the abyss that the Angel Uril had shown Enoch in the west where the heavens met the earth. Look at the Seven deadly sins and Seven virtues carved in Roselyn Chapel in Edinburgh Scotland. One of the sins is swapped with one of the virtues. Greed has been swapped with Charity. The Templar Knights were burned for their charity while King Louis IV of France and the church were revered for their greed.

I still stand on the idea that some of the Templar Knights came to the new world. The legends within the Mi'kmaq nation describing the deity Glooscap rings a surprising overton of Northern Europeans. The stories describing Glooscaps canoe, facial hair, blue eyes, teaching to fish with nets, ect...

Arm chair detective

Good point.

Here is an example of a partially abandoned filled in one. It would not be stretch of imagination to think some thing like treasure was buried there? Especially if the was pulley over pit which would be been used to help move logs over the pit. Timber planks could of been on the floor to stop the bottom sawyer have his feet constantly sinking in mud.

View attachment 2170572

View attachment 2170573

View attachment 2170574

View attachment 2170575

View attachment 2170576

Logs had been cut down in the past on the island people lived there. Maybe not boat building but certainly cutting timber into planks could of been the allusion of pit that was in a sink hole.

That could account for bits and pieces of history that been claimed to have been found on the show. those items that have not been planted that is.

on that note

This old black birdie thinks some thing else will be discovered on curse of Oak Island before long? ya have PM me for that one.

Crow
Thanks for that info. There was much logging going on in my area during the gold rush. Never knew about saw pits. Bedrock is so shallow in our mountains, I doubt that technique was used here.

Why 9 levels of saw pit? In Dante's Inferno, there was actually 9 levels...the first being Purgatory, the next 7 were the seven deadly sins and the final, Hell. A frozen lake...think about the 90 foot stone, forty foot below,???four layers below...that was the switching in Rosalyn Chapel. The forth deadly sin...Greed...switch with charity...what happened to the cave in pit? a 9' diameter dropped 12 feet. no reason just dropped out. They found timber at 50', didn't break through the flood tunnel until Blair put a drill through the flood tunnel. Blair described the bottom as wider at the bottom of the cave in pit...he went into it...put money that there was a mark on the side wall of the cave in pit at 40 foot. Enoch vault, the arch in a round hole is the side wall...North side of the cave in pit just like the Templar Knights going into the south side of the Temple mound...where would you go to hide God's secrets?

Last edited:
Why 9 levels of saw pit? In Dante's Inferno, there was actually 9 levels...the first being Purgatory, the next 7 were the seven deadly sins and the final, Hell. A frozen lake...think about the 90 foot stone, forty foot below,???four layers below...that was the switching in Rosalyn Chapel. The forth deadly sin...Greed...switch with charity...what happened to the cave in pit? a 9' diameter dropped 12 feet. no reason just dropped out. They found timber at 50', didn't break through the flood tunnel until Blair put a drill through the flood tunnel. Blair described the bottom as wider at the bottom of the cave in pit...he went into it...put money that there was a mark on the side wall of the cave in pit at 40 foot. Enoch vault, the arch in a round hole is the side wall...North side of the cave in pit just like the Templar Knights going into the south side of the Temple mound...where would you go to hide God's secrets?
well if the digging was easy and you “thought” there might be treasure, you would have to shore up your dig just like any other excavation. It gets filled in with sand and mud from a tropical storm..someone else later hears of the story and tries again years later. Seems plausible, especially if it kept getting filled in and flooded.

The 90 foot stone was proven to be fake long ago. Once it didn’t fool investors anymore someone used it in the foundation (basement wall) of a building.

Log platforms were never found either. Just another part of the ongoing fairy tale just like the fictional flood tunnels that were proven to not exist.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back