Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garret Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Recovering Relics Finds 2-28-2010 021.JPG
    Recovering Relics Finds 2-28-2010 021.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 3,495
It is from 1951-1958 and is out of Boston, Mass.

Cool! I recently found on from New Haven,Conn. along with some others in my collection from Monticello,Fl.(8oz) Winter Haven,Fl(8oz) and a 10oz from Gulfport,Miss. Somewhere I have a 1923 or 1927 trademark Coke bottle.

Recovering Relics ~

As shown on your photo above, notice the embossed numbers on the side of the bottle where it curves in. Whatever the two numbers are; 39 - 44 - 52 - 56, etc., will be the date the bottle was made. Almost all of the 6 oz. green contour bottles have the date located there. Also, here's some info from one of my Coke books indicating the various wordings found on these "hobble skirt" bottles, and their corresponding dates.

Nice bottle, they are always fun to find.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Attachments

• Coke Book.jpg
    Coke Book.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 2,015
  • Coke Book.jpg
    Coke Book.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,538
~ P. S. ~

Here's another tid-bit of information regarding rarity factors of other Mass. bottles.

(Reference the list below with the one above).

Blank = Relatively Common
S = Scarce (20-100 known)
R = Rare (5-20 known)
RR = Very Rare (1-5 known)
U = Unknown to exist

This listing is for "embossed" bottles only from around 1915 to 1965. The first painted label, (ACL), was in 1957, but it took several years to phase out the embossed bottles that were in circulation nationwide. Also, for anyone attempting to collect "every" variation of embossed bottle, (including every state/city and change in embossed patent info), at last count there were over 2000 different one's. Most collectors focus on their particular state. Here in California where I live, there are about 300 variations. I remember in the mid 1970s this old-timer bottle guy had a warehouse full of these 6oz. bottles, and was selling them for $10.00 per 24 to the case, which even included the original wooden Coca Cola cases they came in. Of course, times have changed over the past 30+ years.

As for value, the best rule of thumb is ...

"Rarity + Condition + Supply + Demand = Value."

SBB

Attachments

• Massachusettes Coke Bottles (703x1024).jpg
    Massachusettes Coke Bottles (703x1024).jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 2,575
Last but not least ...

This "prototype" Coke bottle from 1915, which never went into full production because it toppled over on conveyor belts, (notice how it bulges in the center), could easily be worth $5000.00 or more! Shortly afterwards they changed the design to the one we are familiar with today. But you will likely never see one of these prototypes outside of the Coca Cola museum in Atlanta, Georgia. It is considered by some to be the most valuable soda bottle in the world!

:hello2:
SBB

Attachments

• Hobbleskirt Coke Bottle.jpg
    Hobbleskirt Coke Bottle.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 2,212
  • Hobbleskirt Coke Bottle.jpg
    Hobbleskirt Coke Bottle.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,287
Nice Coca-Cola bottle Recovering Relics :icon_thumright:

The 1915 'prototype' coke bottle is awesome. Thanks for posting SODABOTTLEBOB :icon_thumleft:

This post is quite informative and handy. I recently stumbled upon quite a collection of bottles from all over. Including Lowell and Boston. After looking at the Massachusetts chart, I am wondering what the numbers/letters mean at the top row? I see 1016, 1023, D, 6, 6 1/2. Could someone please elaborate on that? Thanks!

Last edited:
BC ~

Go back to my post #5 and then click on the image from Bill Porter's book. There you will see an explanation for the abbreviations you asked about regarding the 1915 - 1923 -D Pat'd - 6 oz - 6 1/2 oz bottles and the dates they were issued.

By the way, I don't recall how it ended up posting two of the same image. This is the first time I noticed it. ?

SBB

Last edited:
Thank you SBB! For some reason those images were not loading when I originally posted. That clears everything up

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back