Greenie
Sep 9, 2024

Attachments

• IMG_0811.jpeg
    IMG_0811.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Again.... this is an item left to the pro's.
Christies - Sotheby's.

Upvote 0
Thanks Red and Arc, I think I inadvertently found my passion! Genuinely excited either way, if itā€™s a reproduction then thatā€™s fine, thereā€™s a story there as to how and when given the ā€˜babyā€™ that sold recently, then who reproduced and how many šŸ˜. The story and research is one thatā€™s got me hooked

Reactions: ARC
Upvote 0
Post 22 edited.
Having a closer look, the seam on the figure is a little raised and the gap between neck and body is a couple of mm. Could have been painted as well perhaps - contacted Sothebyā€™s so feed back soon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    916.7 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    838.9 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    901.4 KB · Views: 9
Upvote 1
I believe the patent reference is for John Hallā€™s invention of 2nd February 1875, but itā€™s for an improvement in the coin container rather than the overall design of the money-box.

Hall.jpg

Be it known that I, JOHN HALL, of Watertown, of the county of Middlesex and State of Massachusetts, have invented a new and useful Toy Money-Box; and do hereby declare the same to be fully described in the following specification and represented in the accompanying drawings, of which Figure 1 is a front view; Fig. 2, a transverse section. Fig. 3 represents the bottom of the box, showing an opening for removing the money; and Fig. 4, a circular plate for closing said opening.

Upvote 1
After closer inspections of pictures.

I am leaning towards real..... OR a DAMN GOOD fake.
I mean really damn good.

It "looks" ......... Right as rain.

Upvote 0
One of the FIRST "tells" are the screws.
MOST copies will have Phillips head screws.

Upvote 0
One of the FIRST "tells" are the screws.
MOST copies will have Phillips head screws.
But with that said..... IF they were going to knock off this to this degree.... screws would have been the FIRST thing they made sure they copied.
So....... here we are.... again..... at the beginning :)

Upvote 0
I believe the patent reference is for John Hallā€™s invention of 2nd February 1875, but itā€™s for an improvement in the coin container rather than the overall design of the money-box.

View attachment 2167720

Be it known that I, JOHN HALL, of Watertown, of the county of Middlesex and State of Massachusetts, have invented a new and useful Toy Money-Box; and do hereby declare the same to be fully described in the following specification and represented in the accompanying drawings, of which Figure 1 is a front view; Fig. 2, a transverse section. Fig. 3 represents the bottom of the box, showing an opening for removing the money; and Fig. 4, a circular plate for closing said opening.
Thanks Red, difficult to read but Iā€™m getting my son to try read as he has ā€˜youngerā€™ eyes šŸ˜

Upvote 0
So, Sothebyā€™s not interested after reviewing images. - will ask one more auction house but doesnā€™t look promising
Thanks for keeping us posted.

Now... are they not interested because of them thinking it is not real ? ? ?
OR... just not interested ?

Upvote 0
Thanks for keeping us posted.

Now... are they not interested because of them thinking it is not real ? ? ?
OR... just not interested ?
Apparently not in their expertise or value range ? I followed up to see if it was an issue with authenticity but no response yet. Iā€™ve sent to freemanā€™s as well as they sold the one posted earlier

Upvote 1
Bummer that the auction houses arenā€™t offering anything helpful. A few more thoughts, which may or may not be helpful.

Circa 1900, the British company John Harper & Co Ltd of Willenhall illegally produced direct copies of mechanical banks from both the Shepard Hardware Company of Buffalo, NY and the J &E Stevens Company of Cromwell, CT.

As far as I know, Harper were never bold enough to include the original maker name on their copies, but perhaps there were other companies who had no such scruples, effectively producing contemporary counterfeits rather than copies. Harper did however include the original patent references for at least the first few years of production, after which they removed the information (perhaps in fear of legal action for fraudulent use).

Harper copies can be distinguished by either the absence of the patent references (on their later production), or from minor details such as drill-tapered holes, or the use of alternative materials. This Harper copy (an early one, with a fraudulent patent reference) for example has a cast-iron coin-arm rather than the pressed steel used for the original. Sincere apologies for the ā€˜N-wordā€™ and the racial stereotyping, which I show only in the interests of historical accuracy.

Copy.jpg
Copy2.jpg

If yours is a copy (and bear in mind that there were contemporary copyists/counterfeiters as well as more recent ones, such that the screw types would be similar) then the producer would have needed access to an original, or detailed drawings of it. If itā€™s a counterfeit rather than a copy, one would have to question why the baby was replaced by the child. Thereā€™s no record of Stevens having produced a ā€˜childā€™ version but, then again, the ā€˜babyā€™ version was unknown to collectors until 1955. The fact that only one surviving example appears to exist suggests it may have been a short-lived design. Perhaps a copyist found the child easier to cast, or judged it to have a wider appeal? It canā€™t have been in the interests of avoiding legal action for plagiarism, otherwise why leave the original manufacturer name on it?

If itā€™s a more modern copy, itā€™s generally the case that leaving the original manufacturer name in place is ā€˜safeā€™ if the company is defunct. Stevens was bought out by Buckley Brothers of New York in 1950, so it would likely be after that date.

As I said previously, copies of banks like this have been widely-produced for collectors for many years. Hereā€™s a couple from my collection, both produced in Taiwan and about 35 years old, although neither have any original manufacturer names or patent details as part of their castings.

Copies.JPG

Upvote 2
Ahhhh you must be historically correct as well as politically correct or you will be hated ... by the archies and everyone else !
:P

Upvote 1
Ahhhh you must be historically correct as well as politically correct or you will be hated ... by the archies and everyone else !
:P
So freemanā€™s think itā€™s legit and asked me to post for physical inspection - trying to see if someone in Australia can verify rather than posting in the mail !

Upvote 2
So freemanā€™s think itā€™s legit and asked me to post for physical inspection - trying to see if someone in Australia can verify rather than posting in the mail !

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

You might also try contacting the ā€˜Mechanical Bank Collectors of Americaā€™ to see if they can shed any light on your find:

https://www.mechanicalbanks.org/

Thereā€™s an email contact given as: [email protected]

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Not so sure i would send it off without serious considerations and insurences.

Have you tried Christies Auction ?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back