Classic Rock Rules!

Love Meatloaf, I lucked out and saw him live with Ellen Foley, the female backup on Bat Out Of Hell videos in a Nightclub in St Louis for $10 in '89, sat 10 foot from stage and they even served cocktails to your table...👍

saw them Twice , Once on Steel Pier in Atlantic City in the 70's .
&
Once at the Alley in Schuylkill Haven

Pottsville Republican​

Sat, Dec 08, 1984 ·Page 52
000aaa.jpg

their Backup "SENSEI" was just a Cover Band Know in the Allentown/Jersey areas
000bbb.jpg

Got in for Free. Got there While the Band was Setting up & Just Walked in

Last edited:
Only been to one concert in my life, and that was Brian Adams at the Tacoma Dome back in 1987. I don't do crowds, and never have.

But I did have a great set of Sony headphones back then, and enjoyed them to the fullest.

Believe I shared this one elsewhere a while back, but it deserves a spot in this thread, as well.

Smokin' a fatty of some mind-bending sativa, sitting back with the headphones on and getting lost listening to Ian Gillian and the boys makin' music, to this day.... never, ever gets old.
old stoner.gif

only one of those 4 above I Never saw was Bowie.
I Never Liked Him.

Saw Trower in Philly Dave Mason was Backup

my first Concert Hall Concert was Edgar Winter & Golden Earring as Backup in Hershey..

Saw Deep Purple with Nazareth as Backup in Hershey

saw So many Concerts in the 70's & 80's I lost track of the ones where they never gave me my stub .
Was always a Mad rush to get in and to the stage, Ticket Stubs Didn't matter . I slowly stopped going until the Wall Concert once everything was assigned Seating & No Smoking.

the Who Concert in Ohio in '79 Ruined everything. if I Remember right the Paranoia spread from there till Festival Seating was Gone completely :(

Ones I Have a Record of, a Rough guess is 2/3rds to 3/4 of the Concerts
000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg
000ccc.jpg
000ddd.jpg
000eee.jpg

Last edited:
only one of those 4 above I Never saw was Bowie.
I Never Liked Him.

Saw Trower in Philly Dave Mason was Backup

my first Concert Hall Concert was Edgar Winter & Golden Earring as Backup in Hershey..

Saw Deep Purple with Nazareth as Backup in Hershey

saw So many Concerts in the 70's & 80's I lost track of the ones where they never gave me my stub .
Was always a Mad rush to get in and to the stage, Ticket Stubs Didn't matter . I slowly stopped going until the Wall Concert once everything was assigned Seating & No Smoking.

the Who Concert in Ohio in '79 Ruined everything. if I Remember right the Paranoia spread from there till Festival Seating was Gone completely :(

Ones I Have a Record of, a Rough guess is 2/3rds to 3/4 of the Concerts
View attachment 2160074View attachment 2160075View attachment 2160076View attachment 2160077View attachment 2160078
I am impressed.

Crow

Great post. Nothing like 60's to 80's rock. So many memories come back when you listen. Not to change the subject but my wife showed me a video last night of Dionne Warwick still performing. Even the lite rock is unmatched by anything today. It makes me wonder what my parents listened to. Dad was born 1913, Mom 1926.

Last edited:
Have any of you posters ever played in a garage band startup and played out in public later doing classic rock?

All I can say is that there's nothing like it unless you've tried and done it. Way back in 78' I met Ken. He wanted to be a rock guitarist. I wanted to be a rock drummer. He bought a K-Mart guitar and a real small used amp. I bought a very used set of small Lugwig drums. We got together in a small apartment in downtown Three Rivers MI. and drove all nuts. Ken learned some chords and a few rock riffs in a few days and I followed as best I could. Day 5 Ken say's his friend Mark wants to come over. Mark wanted to be rock guitarist also. Mark bought a Wal-Mart type guitar and a very small amp. Mark arrived and the 3 of us tried to make music (failure / horrible!!!!)

Fast forward 2 weeks...!!!!! Ken, Mark nor I had ever played our instruments. Those 2 (Mark / Ken) got together alone and a miracle happened. Turned out Mark was quicker on the uptake of learning at the time. Ken quickly followed. I struggled to keep up with the learning curve of those 2 on drums. Another 2 weeks later we had about 10-12 songs 80-90% complete. Mark learned LEAD GUITAR so quick and I NEVER knew how. Damn he was GOOOOOOOD! And when he showed Ken he could do it...!!!!! They were fabulous together. I struggled to keep pace.

We then moved to Ken's mom garage with plenty of room. Now we could turn it up and really rock with nobody around. Rhythm, lead and drums is what we rocked with. Now it's early 79' and we were a rockin'. Ken and Mark's talent were soaring quickly. Now we needed a bassist and we wanted a keyboard player. I struggled to keep pace still.

One ad posted and we had both showing up on a Sat. morning. Steve the bassist and Jim the keyboard player. Steve had small amp also. Jim had EVERYTHING.... organ, piano and great synthesizer and large amps. Damn did he know how to use it...! Mark and Ken had been working of REO's "Riding the Storm Out" and didn't even end the question if he knew....?.. when Jim fired up the exact siren at the beginning of the song and could play throughout...!!!!! I struggled to keep pace still.

We all played together for 2 more hours when Mark announced he done. He announced he's going to Kalamazoo and buy a Gibson Les Paul with double pickup's and a Marshall 500 watt stack amp. Ken said I'll go and get a Strat and a matching Marshall amp. I said I'll get a new set of Lugwigs and good cymbals and stands to match them. We all hopped into my large van and we came home with everything we said we'd get. We bought a mixing board, all new mics and many various other items. Within 5 more weeks we had 45 songs, were out playing and selling out bars floor place. We did that for 2 years and it was blast playing all over southwestern MI. and northern ID. The name of our bank was Fantasy. The name really fit us fine. And yes I struggled to ever catch up with Ken's, Mark's and Jim's talent level. I could NEVER last a single set of covering our classic rock tunes today.

Anybody else have old garage band stories....? I hope so.

Great post. Nothing like 60's to 80's rock. So many memories come back when you listen. Not to change the subject but my wife showed me a video last night of Dionne Warwick still performing. Even the lite rock is unmatched by anything today. It makes me wonder what my parents listened to. Dad was born 1913, Mom 1926.
Oh I've done some slow dancing to Dionne Warwick in high-school dances in the 60s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back