JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Earlier this week I was digging some nice Civil War relics in a site mixed with modern trash. I got very excited when I popped out what I thought was a nice button....the shape and color was good but when I began cleaning off the front I saw a modern looking "E" staring back. I'm really not sure if its a button at all, but I'm sure someone here will know. Thanks, JB

Attachments

• IMG_5073.PNG
    IMG_5073.PNG
    457 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_5075.PNG
    IMG_5075.PNG
    500.6 KB · Views: 163
Medalions for power poles, I've seen have been numbered in sequence and have nail holes in them. If it would be a Freeze/or Casting plug it would be thicker. Also the only way I know to remove those plugs is to punch or drill a hole in then and pry them out with an awl.

Upvote 0
Medalions for power poles, I've seen have been numbered in sequence and have nail holes in them. If it would be a Freeze/or Casting plug it would be thicker. Also the only way I know to remove those plugs is to punch or drill a hole in then and pry them out with an awl.

I've looked at the freeze plug possibility before. IMO these are too small to be viable freeze plugs.

My best guess is it is related to some sort of maintenance on an early tractor or stationary engine.

But I'm only guessing. I have no proof. :dontknow:

I am not insinuating that this E piece is a freeze plug.. I said I have seen domed shaped things with various letters posted here on TNET, some of which were in the links above, that were indeed freeze plugs.

Upvote 0
I always thought they were some kind of electrical knockout from a piece of equipment manufactured by Emerson electric

Upvote 0
I didn't mean to talk over anyone or discount anyone else's opinion, but only to offer my perspectives and experiences. My apologies if I was too emphatic. Did Emerson make items other than home radio?

Upvote 0
Epiphany?

I went to the grocery store this morning to get some Port wine to soak the fruitcake. Searching for the right bottle I started noticing the little emblems and doodads on the tops of the necks.
So---what if these emblems are an early version of that concept but not too old. Perhaps the cork stuck up a bit and they dabbed a little cornstarch on the neck and cork, stuck the emblem on and wrapped it round with some fancy foil and or a safety bale? The dents are from popping the emblem off with the tip of the corkscrew. Other specimens without the dent might have been removed with a knife blade instead. In light of the very low number of these finds we may be looking at the trail of one individual's movements? Even if they are found on or near civil war battle sites he might have been someone who toured them and carried along his own special hooch.

In the 1930s Henry Ford had a campaign encouraging folks to travel around the country and camp out. He gave away hundreds of fold-up charcoal grills with the purchases of an autos. Encouraging folks to exploit their newfound freedom of carefree travel. He teamed up with a man named King who had invented an appliance to make charcoal briquettes. Henry's
employees swept up all the sawdust and wood scraps from making the wooden ribs of the Model A bodies and King ran them through his Briquette mill and made "Kingsford" charcoal.

Coincidently prohibition was going on and if you wanted a drink you'd be best to carry it with you. I think it would be interesting to overlay the map that Matt provided on a national map to see if they are in some proximately to historic sites.

Best wishes!

Upvote 0
I gave some thought and searched the net for Emerson electric logos. I couldn't find anything like this. I also considered George Eastman's pre Kodak products but couldn't find a logo. George Eastman also founded the Eastman Chemical Company which makes an incredible range of products founded in 1920.

Upvote 0
Ehlers Wine Company

The Ehlers Estate Story

The story of Ehlers Estate is one of passion, patience, and hard work, intertwined like the tendrils of robust vines that have been part of the landscape here since the mid-1800s.

It was the lure of winemaking that tempted Bernard Ehlers to buy a small, dying vineyard in the late 1800s and embark on a quest to create the winery that continues to bear his name. He replanted his newly-acquired 10-acre vineyard, established the olive grove that still thrives today and in 1886 completed construction of the stone barn that is now our beautiful winery building. His original Bale Mill Winery continued to operate long after his death, run by his wife until the 1920s and then by successive new owners who took advantage of its prime location and unique terroir.

100% of the proceeds from the sale of our wines are returned to the esteemed LeDucq Foundation to support international cardiovascular research.

This probably why the Ehlers emblem how incorporates the heart in the design!

Upvote 0
Very, Very Nice Work Fla Rat! an a hearty welcome to TNet!

Thanks for the back up and best wishes!

Upvote 0
Ehhh… sorry, but no, our mysterious "E marked brass disc" is not what's on top of the winebottle in the photo. The letter E in the photo is what is called "serifed" lettering, and our E discs always have a no-serifs "plain block" letter E.

Still, the photo helpfully provided by Florida Rat does show that a kinda-sorta-similar disc is found on some winebottle seals. That info could be helpful for identifying one of that kind when it turns up here in the What-Is-It? forum.

Attachments

• lettering-style_Serif_and_Sans-Serif_lettering-style_art-by-BigCypressHunter.png
    lettering-style_Serif_and_Sans-Serif_lettering-style_art-by-BigCypressHunter.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 237
Upvote 0
I didn't mean to talk over anyone or discount anyone else's opinion, but only to offer my perspectives and experiences. My apologies if I was too emphatic. Did Emerson make items other than home radio?
No apologies needed. That fellow is always real snippy that way.

Upvote 0
Ehhh… sorry, but no, our mysterious "E marked brass disc" is not what's on top of the winebottle in the photo. The letter E in the photo is what is called "serifed" lettering, and our E discs always have a no-serifs "plain block" letter E.

Still, the photo helpfully provided by Florida Rat does show that a kinda-sorta-similar disc is found on some winebottle seals. That info could be helpful for identifying one of that kind when it turns up here in the What-Is-It? forum.

Yes, I wasn't implying this item came from that bottle in the picture, just that I think it may have come from a similar much older bottle as Reanm8er was saying. It makes sense that some are pried off and some are cut off with the wrapper (why some of these have pry marks and some don't). Wine, bourbon, whiskey, oil, medicine and other things may have used a cork medallion like these? I did some searching but was unable to find the exact font.

Upvote 0
The "pry mark" looks like part of the stamping. Now what was it being pried off of? Still cogitating that.

Upvote 0
All points well taken my friends!

Re the text font on the bottle. I suggest it's a styled up version of a block type original, older version. The reason being, the arms of the E form a heart. The family that now owns the vineyard
channels it's profits into an organization that does research into heart attack prevention. This is a varietal wine that successfully mimics the flavor of a fine Bordeaux. It's pricey stuff and perhaps in the 1920s it wasn't that popular on the East coast. It is, however, odd that none have been found on the West coast!

If the dimple in the originals was stamped into the cap it may have been put there for the expressed purpose of facilitating it's removal from a recessed location like the neck of a bottle. I couldn't find a contact address on the Ehlers website but perhaps there's a museum in the Sonoma Valley that has a collection of wine bottle decorations and memorabilia?

Upvote 0
Add another one to Western N.C. Found this in the middle of the night and couldn’t wait to come back to this thread to see if it had been solved. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546354546.971370.jpgtImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546354561.204783.jpg

Upvote 0
The architectural design of these things is screaming coil spring hardware ..

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back