Civil War Musket Ball/Shot?

tylerm42

Jun 1, 2012
Boca Raton, Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently made a purchase online for what the seller advertised as, "3 COLLECTIBLE CIVIL WAR RELIC MUSKET AMMO BULLETS -VERY NICE" When I received them, I was a bit perplexed... They were a lot lighter than I expected. Upon further examination, I noted that they seem almost soft, not hard like lead or iron, infact, if I press hard enough with my thumb nail, I could leave a indentation! Could someone help me figure this out? What are these strange balls? The biggest one, in the middle weights only 1.5 ounces. Also, take note of their irregular shape. They didn't cost me much at all, so no dissappointments will be had if they're not authentic. Thanks for any help you could offer! :)

075.JPG

I am afraid you have been had. Usually round balls are pure lead and will oxidize to a white chalky appearance. And yes, they would be rather heavy. There is no telling what you have but it was definitely something intended to deceive. Also, during the war the majority of the ammo used was actually a bullet design.

Upvote 0
For sure, definitely not musket balls. They don't even look like case shot either, which is often mistaken for musket balls. If you can make a mark like that with your fingernail, then they are not even lead.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back