All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 2012-06-06 21.21.17.jpg
    2012-06-06 21.21.17.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 226
  • 2012-06-06 21.21.30.jpg
    2012-06-06 21.21.30.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 361
Very kewl!! One of my greatttt grandfathers lived and owned a plantation in Northumberland and fought in the Rev. War, I do lot of sport hunting and metal detecting in Northumberland (Northern Neck Of Virginia) ! That is very neat tag you have! Most Civil War ID badges had Name/Regiment listed on it..

Upvote 0
Please correct me if I'm totally out to lunch and wrong, as I certainly do not know much about Civil War artifacts and relics, but my understanding is that neither side issued "official ID tags" I've read a few similar articles to the one I'm quoting here.

Imagine going into battle fearing that your loved ones might never know about you in the event you were wounded or killed.This was a real fear for Civil War soldiers as neither the U.S. or Confederate governments provided their soldiers with identification tags. Soldiers that understood that they may very well be injured or killed prepared for the worst by making their own "tags."
Many soldiers stenciled everything they were issued. This served two purposes: 1) It helped prevent theft of the item and 2) it served as a means of identification if wounded or killed. If the fallen soldier did not stencil any equipment, the mortuary workers used the notebooks, letters and diaries the soldiers carried to help in identification. Some soldiers even wrote their names on strips of paper which they then pinned to the backs of their coats.
The soldiers that really prepared bought identification items from non-government sources before going off to war. Harper's Weekly, Leslie's and other popular magazines carried advertisements for ornate gold or silver pins that could be worn on a man's coat. The pins were usually shaped to suggest a branch of service and engraved with the soldier's name and unit. Men who could not afford such pins could purchase brass or lead machine stamped tags from sutlers that followed the armies around on their campaigns. Selling from roadside tents, the sutlers would sell many goods at highly inflated prices.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What would Northumber Land Co. have to do with a Civil War dog tag. Seems to me like an employee ID or something of that nature.

Upvote 0
What would Northumber Land Co. have to do with a Civil War dog tag. Seems to me like an employee ID or something of that nature.

This may refer to the closest thing to an address back in the time?? Northumberland County, Virginia.

Upvote 0
Being a layman and not being an expert on civil war relics, I would still tend to lean toward the identification of your pendant as a soldier's homemade dog tag. First, it is in the basic shape of a tombstone. Second, it has his complete name and (basic) address, but thirdly, and most peculiar, it spells out his date of birth to include the word "born" which is usually reserved for grave markers... Add to that the fact that he would have been the ideal age to be a soldier during the civil war and you actually have researched a soldier with that same, unusual name serving in one of the armies. I think ID tag is a good bet, and a very cool item. Sub

Upvote 0
It is possible though he carried this ID badge with him while he was en-listed in the War! I know I have seen ID tags at shows before that did not have a regiment listed but just a name and similar too this one, that were dug in Civil War camps...

Upvote 0

Yah! Not really much at all happened in the Northern Neck of Virginia during the war however Northumberland did have some action. There were a number of skirmishes between the Northumberland home guards and Federal troops. According to Bertrand Haynie, a former member of the guard, "We had several skirmishes with the raiders, one in the vicinity of Lotsburg where we captured a horse and perhaps killed the rider." Haynie goes on to tell of another skirmish with a Union gunboat that was going up the Great Wicomico River. The boat tried to shell the banks but either overshot or shot too high. Nobody was killed in that particular fight. Other firsthand accounts tell of several shellings on the Great Wicomico. Reverend C.T. Thrift of Northumberland County wrote, "Marauding parties landed and did much pillaging. Poultry and pigs were taken." VIRGINIA'S NORTHERN NECK - The Civil War

LOT of men from Northumberland en-listed in the war though There were the Northumberland Home Guards the Lancaster home guards. The 40th Virginia Infantry Lancaster Grays. And the Lancaster Cavalry! You can find civil war relics in Northumberland but it is very scarce (It is basically the only county in the Northern Neck of Virginia you can find Civil War artifacts the rest like Richmond County,Lancaster your normally just find civilian artifacts) but when you do find a little spot that has civil war relics in Northumberland or the Northern Neck it is normally a good find! There have been a few good two-piece silver Virginia Buttons found in Northumberland along with some rare Virginia buckles!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Please tell us where the information (regiment, enlistment date, etc.) regarding the name on the tag came from. I cannot find that name in the National Park Service's "Civil War Soldiers And Sailors Database."

The name on the tag appears to be "Carla S. Brock" (or, "Carla S. B. Rock") -- which is seemingly not a male's name.

Upvote 0
Is my GGGrandfather Lafayette Mason on the soldiers database? Ever see one of these? I found his discharge papers. Sorry to hijack.

The tag is a cool item.

Attachments

• Mason Lafayette.jpg
    Mason Lafayette.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 0
Here is a photo of a Confederate Soldier in the 48th Miss. Infantry Civil War Connection- Local Finds : April 4th, 2009 is a date I will never forget. James Fox and I were given permission to hunt the Kain Plantation in Vicksburg, MS. The weather was perfect- one of those days with a slight breeze, sunny, and not too cool, just right for hunting. I was hunting by the sidewalk on the north side of the house when I got a clear, crisp, deep signal. I could not believe what was in the bottom of the hole- a Rare oval ID Tag with an Eagle/Chas. M. Kain/Vicksburg, Miss on the front. Instantly, I knew this was a member of the original owners of the house but I did not know if he was a significant member. Imagine my surprise to find out later that he was not only a prominant Vicksburg citizen but also a Confederate Soldier in the 48th Miss. Infantry which had a glorious history during the Civil War.
The current landowner and myself decided this Rare Relic should be in a Museum so on April 14th, 2009 I donated Mr. Kains' ID Tag to the Old Courthouse Museum in Vicksburg, MS.
Below are pics of the plantation, location of the find, the Kains' graves, and Mr. Kain's ID tag.*******************

These are the kind of ID tags that Confederate Soldiers mainly had and the ones I have seen at shows that did not have a regiment listed on the ID tag. Mainly all the Union tags had a Name and Regiment listed. It would be great too have a link of information too Carlas Brock like CBG mentioned he can not find any. I will do some research later if more information is not provided, i should be able too pull a list of all the 40th Va Co and try and pull up Brock on the NPS page.

You said he was in the 40th Va Co That would have been the Lancaster Grays that I mentioned in my last post.

Attachments

• tag.jpg
    tag.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thats a cool tag. Similar in shape to these. I have never seen the shape of cmawiants tag.

Attachments

• tag id.jpg
    tag id.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 755
Upvote 0
That reminds me of a silver tag I found with dates and a girls name Jo-Ann L. Hall.. I never could ID the darn thing. Here I go hijackin again.

Attachments

• JoAnn or To Ann.jpg
    JoAnn or To Ann.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Correct. I think its a birth and death of child that lived only 3 days but I cannot find any record of death nor do I know what century.
.http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/17078-she-only-3-days-old.html

That is what I would think too if it wasn't for the date being during the Holidays and the name is printed fancy. If i had too bet I would say it had something to do with the holidays, either has a charm or some tag that had to be worn for the holidays. Could even be something Joann L Hall made during 12-30-43 and 1-2-44 and then that tag was placed on whatever it was. Could be a number of things but I do not think that tag you have is a death of a baby.

Upvote 0
That is what I would think too if it wasn't for the date being during the Holidays and the name is printed fancy. If i had too bet I would say it had something to do with the holidays, either has a charm or some tag that had to be worn for the holidays. Could even be something Joann L Hall made during 12-30-43 and 1-2-44 and then that tag was placed on whatever it was. Could be a number of things but I do not think that tag you have is a death of a baby.
Thats something that I never considered. There are also numbers engraved on the backside. The writing style is called old copper script.

I dont want to hijack this thread. I would be happy if you posted on the other thread maybe throw in these new ideas and resurrect it. thanks. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/17078-she-only-3-days-old.html

Upvote 0
His name is Carlos B. Rock and this is one of the links I found on him 40th Infantry Regiment
I have also seen the name spelled Carlas B. Rock I found a marriage certificate also https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X51N-7KP
I seem to remember finding some info on when he was wounded that he lost one of his fingers but at the moment I can't find where I put it

Upvote 0
Please tell us where the information (regiment, enlistment date, etc.) regarding the name on the tag came from. I cannot find that name in the National Park Service's "Civil War Soldiers And Sailors Database."

The name on the tag appears to be "Carla S. Brock" (or, "Carla S. B. Rock") -- which is seemingly not a male's name.

There is a "Carlos B. Rock" / "Carlos Rock" listed in the databases on Ancestry-----

U.S. Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles about Carlos B Rock

Name:Carlos B Rock
Age at enlistment:22
Enlistment Date:26 May 1861
Rank at enlistment:Private
State Served:Virginia
Survived the War?:Yes
Service Record:Enlisted in Company F, Virginia 40th Infantry Regiment on 26 May 1861.Mustered out on 08 Feb 1864.
Birth Date:abt 1839
Sources:The Virginia Regimental Histories Series

American Civil War Soldiers about Carlos Rock

Name:Carlos Rock
Enlistment Date:26 May 1861
Side Served:Confederacy
State Served:Virginia
Service Record:Enlisted as a Private on 26 May 1861 at the age of 22.
Enlisted in Company F, 40th Infantry Regiment Virginia on 26 May 1861.
Received a disability discharge from Company F, 40th Infantry Regiment Virginia on 8 Feb 1864.
Sources:21

Upvote 0
His name is Carlos B. Rock and this is one of the links I found on him 40th Infantry Regiment
I have also seen the name spelled Carlas B. Rock I found a marriage certificate also https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X51N-7KP
I seem to remember finding some info on when he was wounded that he lost one of his fingers but at the moment I can't find where I put it

We were posting at the same time :) But hope the info helps... I'll see if I can find anything else.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back