585A74E9-051B-4AFF-AF0D-EE7B0C43AA6E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 43
  • B946E00C-7F2D-402A-99F0-D73D208F93B3.jpeg
    B946E00C-7F2D-402A-99F0-D73D208F93B3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
  • A39478D0-B574-4F69-9658-FD1DBE41D5C8.jpeg
    A39478D0-B574-4F69-9658-FD1DBE41D5C8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
Agree, Typical type item often sold in Asia export stores in many malls across the country even today.

The "Made in China" mark wasn't put into use until the early 1940's, and agree that it could be more contemporary.

Upvote 2
The "Made in China" mark wasn't put into use until the early 1940's, and agree that it could be more contemporary.

For goods exported to America, the McKinley Tariff Act of October 1890 (effective from March 1891) required country of origin marking in English as ‘China’. There have been various amendments from 1914 onwards including the requirement to add the words “Made in…” (not rigorously enforced until 1921) but some exporters adopted the required wording before it became mandatory.

Since October 1949, ‘People’s Republic of China’ (or P.R.O.C. and P.R.C.) have been acceptable alternatives to ‘China’ together with the ‘Made in…’ requirement.

It could conceivably be 100 years old as claimed, but these ‘famille jaune’ enamel vases have been made in huge quantities for export to the West for many years and even antique ones don’t usually fetch more than about $40 unless impressively large.

Upvote 2
Red-Coat:

Got my info from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Made_in_China

Thanks for the education. I trust your word more than that of Wikipedia..:icon_thumright:

Thanks. Most of what is said there is correct, but it's an incomplete story. The one thing that's absolutely incorrect is the statement: "The historical roots of "Made in China" date back to the early 1940s".

Upvote 0
Thanks. Most of what is said there is correct, but it's an incomplete story. The one thing that's absolutely incorrect is the statement: "The historical roots of "Made in China" date back to the early 1940s".

Actually read that on a number of sites. Yet another reason why I don't believe half of what I read on the Internet.

Upvote 2
Actually read that on a number of sites. Yet another reason why I don't believe half of what I read on the Internet.

Yeah, it only takes one so-called authoritative source to provide some misinformation and then it ends up everywhere. Wiki is pretty good, but littered with errors and inconsistencies and contradictions between entries on different pages.

Correcting the Internet.jpg

Upvote 1
Interesting stuff here guys thank you. I’m pretty sure it’s not going to be worth anything, is there any possibility it could be valuable?

Upvote 0
It could conceivably be 100 years old as claimed, but these ‘famille jaune’ enamel vases have been made in huge quantities for export to the West for many years and even antique ones don’t usually fetch more than about $40 unless impressively large.

Interesting stuff here guys thank you. I’m pretty sure it’s not going to be worth anything, is there any possibility it could be valuable?

See above.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back