Checked out new homesteads today -My Biggest Button & Unusal design to boot!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checked out new homesteads today -My Biggest Button & Unusal design to boot!

With most of the snow gone thanks to snow to rain, I decided to do a 4 mile loop today to check out some homesteads showing on an old aerial map. I knew these sites were not of the colonial or early Federal period, but it is winter and I will take what I can find and hunt right now.

With that much walking and a afternoon start there was not much time for detecting and in fact I really did not take the photos that I should have.

I visited 5 homesteads on this hike, 4 of which I am sure are mid to late 1800s sites and possibly some later, but all were gone by 1930.

The 5th homestead had no signs of a more modern foundation and did match more what we find in the early 1800s. However the snow there was more frozen and by that time I was ready for the hike back to my truck.

The entire area is dotted with roads that were cut thru for a pre or post WW2(not sure of the dates) housing development that never occurred, but some old colonial roads crisscross the same area, so you never know what you will find. However, by the looks of what I saw over the 4 mile walk, the entire site within "throwing" distance was trashed by people perhaps since the 50s! :(

At the third homestead I found, there was a bit less trash and snow so I did detect some there, but more in a field like area than the immediate homestead itself. I got a nice reading under a big old cedar tree and out comes a HUGE disc! I was rather surprised to see it was a button and not a broach/pin assy for a lady's apparel....... The shank is that of a button, so I knew then it was my biggest ever.

I found a few other insignificant targets, buckle, dome shape plain button, and some unknown pieces, but the button was going to have to be the highlight of the hunt

When I got home, it measured out at over 41mm which by far is bigger than any I have found. I was not sure of the design,but once I cleaned it, it appears to have numerous animals on it, deer like or something along that lines, so I am not sure of the age of the button, the purpose of the design if any, but it will be a nice addition to my collection

Don

Attachments

• homestead1.jpg
    homestead1.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 972
  • homestead2.jpg
    homestead2.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 967
  • cellarhole2.jpg
    cellarhole2.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 979
  • cellarhole2view.jpg
    cellarhole2view.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 966
  • Trash.jpg
    Trash.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 965
  • Bigbuttonfreshfromground.jpg
    Bigbuttonfreshfromground.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 961
  • 41mmplusbutton.JPG
    41mmplusbutton.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 968
  • Animalbutton41plusmm.jpg
    Animalbutton41plusmm.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 956
Upvote 0
Re: Checked out new homesteads today -My Biggest Button & Unusal design to boot

Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
lostcauses said:
Sorry to do this, but it is modern 1970s or newer, native American design used on designer ware

I would have to somewhat agree, definitely 1900s looking rather than 17-18.

Don,

I'm not surprised you are unsure of age, as I guess you have liitle to compare it to. As I'm sure you have many Dandy buttons & its not in that category. I have had many Dandy buttons & none like this one, other than a similar size.

So you have 20th century ones like this?

No. Do I need to to have an opinion? Whats your opinion? (bearing in mind its pressed & the styling of the piece)

Re: Checked out new homesteads today -My Biggest Button & Unusal design to boot!

Nice button, Nice site. Button finds to me are just as exciting as finding coins, that's a beautiful button. I hope you can find some information on it.

TommNJ

CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
lostcauses said:
Sorry to do this, but it is modern 1970s or newer, native American design used on designer ware

I would have to somewhat agree, definately 1900s looking rather than 17-18.

Don,

I'm not surprised you are unsure of age, as I guess you have liitle to compare it to. As I'm sure you have many Dandy buttons & its not in that category. I have had many Dandy buttons & none like this one, other than a similar size.

No. Do I need to to have an opinion? Whats your opinion? (bearing in mind its pressed)

The color makes me think old (pre 1970 I mean) but being very old., I think what are the chances of a Native American button being found where it was and looking like that. My guess is it dates to the old home sites in the area, mid. 1800s, early 1900s, not the 1970s.... but I sure wouldn't bet much money on any of that.

Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
lostcauses said:

Don,

No. Do I need to to have an opinion? Whats your opinion? (bearing in mind its pressed)

The color makes me think old (pre 1970 I mean) but being very old., I think what are the chances of a Native American button being found where it was and looking like that. My guess is it dates to the old home sites in the area, mid. 1800s, early 1900s, not the 1970s.... but I sure wouldn't bet much money on any of that.

Before I read the the 1970s comment, I was hedging my bets on 1920s. Thats why I said 1900s. I'm pretty sure its not 1800s or before.

This doesn't detract from the the fact thats its a great button & a nice addition to anyones collection.

CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
lostcauses said:

Don,

Before I read the the 1970s comment, I was hedging my bets on 1920s. Thats why I said 1900s. I'm pretty sure its not 1800s or before.

This doesn't detract from the the fact thats its a great button & a nice addition to anyones collection.

This side of the pond even 100 year old button is plenty collectible. I'm sure we'll have the answer for this one at some point.

Re: Checked out new homesteads today -My Biggest Button & Unusal design to boot!

Look up south western style buttons, or chonco style buttons etc.. The place looks like it burnt down, some reserch as to when this happened may help the poster on the age of material being found there. One nice thing about such, some buttons like that are silver. And such being there suggests that they also may have had south western style silver lost in the area also.

Such buttons are used on designer jackets ect.. Just due to a button having a soldered on shank does not make them old..

lostcauses said:
Just due to a button having a soldered on shank does not make them old..

agreed

CRUSADER said:
lostcauses said:

agreed

Don't think anyone said it did. It's the green dug color that gets me if it's a modern button but in good soil maybe that replaces the spots of green crud that would happen here. I have had two of the modern type Indian items you are referring too, I just can't remember exactly what they were. One I believe was a concho, the other just won't come to me. Can't picture either, too long ago.

Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
lostcauses said:

agreed
Don't think anyone said it did.

I know, just agreed its a good point. Many assume these things because its a 1 piece.

i bet its a hassion button ..........there was alot of hassion imagrants that came into nj at one time very early on....just my guess

Don I'm not expert in buttons but it sure looks like a 1700's dandy with animal. I have some pics some place that shows animals on them. If I can find it i will post it here for everyone to have a look. The patina on it from when you first dug it sure looks authentic.

Ed-

NICE BUTTONS HOPE YOU FIND MORE. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Very interesting and cool!! WTG!!

Ed-NH said:
Don I'm not expert in buttons but it sure looks like a 1700's dandy with animal. I have some pics some place that shows animals on them. If I can find it i will post it here for everyone to have a look. The patina on it from when you first dug it sure looks authentic.

Ed-

The 18th century examples with animals do not have the same styling. I would love to seem them though on this thread. Also the look of the metal after cleaning is a give a way.

CRUSADER said:
Ed-NH said:

Ed-

The 18th century examples with animals do not have the same styling. I would love to seem them though on this thread. Also the look of the metal after cleaning is a give a way.

I have shown the button to the author of "Dating Buttons" and he made a guess of it being period for the homestead, which would be from late 1880s to 1920's, based only on the small shank loop, but he evidently never saw one before .

Cru, the look you refer to after cleaning is the lighting I had to use for the photograph, just for your info, it is a copper/brass button and still is a darker patina and not as in the photo. Had the wrong type light bulb for night indoor photography.......

Still more interested in what if any purpose there was for such a large button with that type of design. But, no big deal, it is a great display piece. :wink:

Don

Very Cool button Don. Man, what are you digging with right now a pick ax? I try to make a hole a couple days ago with a rock hammer = nota, nothing, zippo urrrrrgh...

Brian

Don in SJ said:
CRUSADER said:
Ed-NH said:

Ed-

I have shown the button to the author of "Dating Buttons" and he made a guess of it being period for the homestead, which would be from late 1880s to 1920's, based only on the small shank loop, but he evidently never saw one before .

Cru, the look you refer to after cleaning is the lighting I had to use for the photograph, just for your info, it is a copper/brass button and still is a darker patina and not as in the photo. Had the wrong type light bulb for night indoor photography.......

Still more interested in what if any purpose there was for such a large button with that type of design. But, no big deal, it is a great display piece. :wink:

Don

So my first thoughts of 1920s is not bad :wink:

The discussion in no way was putting down this nice piece :thumbsup:

I see art deco.

The pattern is correct for an art deco button, and the shapes of the animals is also era...

I dunno... all I see is art deco.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back