Cemeteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should you carry a hammer and wooden stake, just to be on the safe side? And if so which company makes the best one for under $200?

Chisos said:
Should you carry a hammer and wooden stake, just to be on the safe side? And if so which company makes the best one for under $200?

Oh man not this question again. Research man research. For gods sake.
This is what I use. don't need no stake or hammer.

image-2071863315.jpg

Last edited:
So far, I've gleaned these 2 crucial questions from this topic: :icon_scratch:

1. If I am a dime collector, which MD will give me the best signal reading for graveyard hunting?

2. Which MD manufacturer produces the wooden stake accessory?

:laughing7:

Well, I still feel uncomfortable hunting graveyards that are (a) less than 100 years old and/or (b) maintained and landscaped by the onsite funeral home.
However, I don't think I'd have any qualms about hunting old, forgotten and abandoned graveyards, older or unused sections of current graveyards.
I do happen to know of a few nearby that fit my cemetery hunt standard, I was just curious of how touchy the subject is.
Tcim, I just might have to read those, if for no other reason than the comedic content. Thanks for the links :)
Coinstriking Michigan, thanks for the good point. I had not thought of that.

So far, I've gleaned these 2 crucial questions from this topic: :icon_scratch:

1. If I am a dime collector, which MD will give me the best signal reading for graveyard hunting?

2. Which MD manufacturer produces the wooden stake accessory?

:laughing7:

Well, I still feel uncomfortable hunting graveyards that are (a) less than 100 years old and/or (b) maintained and landscaped by the onsite funeral home.
However, I don't think I'd have any qualms about hunting old, forgotten and abandoned graveyards, older or unused sections of current graveyards.
I do happen to know of a few nearby that fit my cemetery hunt standard, I was just curious of how touchy the subject is.
Tcim, I just might have to read those, if for no other reason than the comedic content. Thanks for the links :)
Coinstriking Michigan, thanks for the good point. I had not thought of that.

Just remember, if you have concluded it is ok to hunt cemeteries, most of the ones that fit your criteria are on private property and are unkept for that reason. You are close enough to many of us eastern pa hunters , that we don't need the community press that comes with those possible complaints. In other words get permission.

I haven't detected in a cemetery the bodies are 6' deep - only get about 12" on my E-trac. Darn!

ANyone against it better not believe in hunting battlefields then.

I think a cemetery is more sacred than a battlefield, as people have personally left trinkets near graves for their loved ones they lost....not for people to find the stuff they left 50 years later with a metal detector. I'm sure cemetaries have a plethora of great stuff, but I would truly feel guilty as it was probably put their on purpose in memory of someone.

So should I wear my digital camouflage pants with my omega or leaf pattern with my at pro while detecting at cemeteries choices so many

Same crap we have read it all. People don't like it. Some don't care. Won't be long now and the name calling will start. Then the thread gets locked. Any one taking bets as to how many post it will take to get this thread locked.

sonofadigger said:
So should I wear my digital camouflage pants with my omega or leaf pattern with my at pro while detecting at cemeteries choices so many

Oh man I have been looking for the omega leaf pattern. Where can I get a set?

ticm said:
Oh man I have been looking for the omega leaf pattern. Where can I get a set?

Everywhere and nowhere ...everywhere and nowhere...

Just confirms ......."Cremation"~ then I'll never stress about someone picking my bones!:laughing7:

I'm thinking you should dig in layers. As you go down a layer detect than dig another 8 inches till you hit the coffin. That way you won't have to detect such a large pile at once up top. Don't forget to lift the coffin, after all the grave diggers probably had change in their pockets while digging. :)

Never ever use a concentric whilst digging and poking amongst the dead. Avoid alcohol and marijuana when disrespecting the graves.

.... Coinstriking ...Is right on there.....If you hunted civil war war battle fields you have nothing to say..... How many of you civil war hunters dug a sound and found a body there ....................Then took every thing off it and covered it up again more than one i would guess..........But not one of you will admit to it................... I have hunted cemeteries but the ones i hunted ...... every one in them were dead so i got no complaints

cemetaries and battlefields are like apples and oranges.....the comparison is honestly not that close, people killing each other and intentionally burying dead people are two totally separate things.

I once read that Charles Garrett said he found his oldest nickel while hunting an old grave yard. I would hunt the outskirts but not around the grave themselves....just my oppinion.

So what's the best detector to use in grave yards ?

The new GY Digger 3000 with wood discrimination. Comes with a wooden stake, silver bullet & holy water

Same crap we have read it all. People don't like it. Some don't care. Won't be long now and the name calling will start. Then the thread gets locked. Any one taking bets as to how many post it will take to get this thread locked.

What about a pet cemetery? I know where a spot is that as late as 1964 over 400 cat's & dogs were buried over a 15-20 year time period. They were buried in little coffins lined with carpet with brass name plates on em by an old eccentric millionaire who use to have a big farm & a love for dogs & cats. The grounds are off limits to detecting as far as I know as now its a nature preserve/park but the thought of little coffins with brass plates on em (prolly not buried that deep) sure would be a freaky finding if you didn't know about em first.

I'll go with the vote for if the cemetery is very old, over grown & not kept up + with permission then I don't see why not. But personally I wouldn't dig right above graves, I'd stick to just the outskirts & larger walking rows.

With detecting anywhere you never know why or how an old object got where it did, you can speculate but it always could have been left with a reason or purpose, maybe a loved one passed away at that very spot or who knows what possible similar reason? Those who have detected a lot for years & years have probably detected over an old long forgotten small cemetery or even over a very old Indian burial ground but never even knew it.

Had a minute to spare so had to have some fun with photoshop
Animation111a.gif a gravey1a.gif :icon_scratch:

Last edited:
cemetaries and battlefields are like apples and oranges.....the comparison is honestly not that close, people killing each other and intentionally burying dead people are two totally separate things.
Don't be a party pooper. We're trying to dig up a few graves here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back