✅ SOLVED Cellar Hole Relics And A What Is It?

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The cellar hole is on top of a lower New york State hill. No other houses in the vicinity. Could have been a home, loggers shack, or a still (found about twent metal bands, like the kind that go around wooden barrels). Didn't take long to try and discriminate out iron! lol.

The oil burner has a patent date of 1890, and the lock style goes back to 1860s.
The stove parts, saw and draw knife, etc. are too toasted to see any marks.

Do see anything else there that can be dated? The flat button has no marking on either side.

DSCN7413.JPGDSCN7414.JPGDSCN7417.JPGDSCN7418.JPGDSCN7419.JPGDSCN7420.JPGDSCN7421.JPGDSCN7422.JPGDSCN7425.JPGDSCN7426.JPGDSCN7427.JPGDSCN7428.JPGDSCN7429.JPGDSCN7430.JPGDSCN7437.JPG

And this is the What Is It? Made of copper. Found with the stuff above-

DSCN7433.JPGDSCN7434.JPGDSCN7435.JPGDSCN7436.JPG

Might be a 17 on it---xvll---other then that im no help

Upvote 0
Good luck with that.

I agree, but had to try!

Looking at the holes, and the way the tip is shaped, had me thinking that it might be to a balnce scale of some type.

Or, just another pieces part to a thigamajig.

Upvote 0
It looks like a spinning wheel or treadle foot pedal or the likes.

Neat finds :)
Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with Broken Knee, that it looks much like old gun hardware. I'm thinking a broken piece of a trigger guard perhaps? They can break off in a very straight line where they originally curved to go around the trigger.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your two piece round item looks like a flue flapper from a stove pipe. At least one of your heavy weights looks like a hatchet head. You might try some Evaporust to see if you can bring out any more detail.

Upvote 0
I'm inclined to agree with Breezie. A foot pedal makes since considering the offset of the holes in the pivot. Not sure why there are score marks on what I'd consider the underside of the piece and the round little knob looks to be decorative. Interesting stuff for sure.

Upvote 0
Doesn't appear to be copper from the pictures....?
Bad pic, sorry.

It looks like a spinning wheel or treadle foot pedal or the likes.

Neat finds :)
Breezie
I guess something similar. Bit small for foot pedal I would think?

I agree with Broken Knee, that it looks much like old gun hardware. I'm thinking a broken piece of a trigger guard perhaps? They can break off in a very straight line where they originally curved to go around the trigger.
The score marks are what steer me away from gun hardware. One side cuts a bit deeper than the other, showing which side had the tension. So there was moving thread across it.

@ Cud: The three heavier pieces are broken ax heads, and the curved pieces are the burner/hole covers to a small wood stove top.

Thanks for the input! Another interesting pile to think about for the week. Now fixating on this weekends hunt!

Upvote 0
I guess something similar. Bit small for foot pedal I would think?

!

I think your item was longer originally. When enlarged, you can see where it was cut and filed, plus there was a dimple or hole in that area. That end is not dressed like the sides or the other end.

:)
Breezie
Mystery.JPG

Upvote 0
I think your item was longer originally. When enlarged, you can see where it was cut and filed, plus there was a dimple or hole in that area. That end is not dressed like the sides or the other end.

:)
Breezie
View attachment 988029
The entire piece has cut/file marks, and the holes are not smooth. The dimple in the pic cleaned out to be a hole. Two other dimples adjacent to the "mast" are shallow.

DSCN7450.JPGDSCN7451.JPGDSCN7452.JPGDSCN7453.JPGDSCN7454.JPGDSCN7456.JPG

I think likely a clear cut case of a modified doohickey.

Upvote 0
If you found the pottery shards with your MD then it probably has a lead glaze. I also have found shards with my MD.

Upvote 0
And this is the What Is It? Made of copper. Found with the stuff above-

View attachment 986931View attachment 986932View attachment 986933View attachment 986934

For sure its copper, looks a lot like hardware from a Brown Bess Riffle.
round thing with 2 holes goes into the wood, with a pin through to keep it from comming out.
Other hole is for an iron screw of some type, (Remains of which still block the hole)
I could not find something exactly like this, but late 1700 to mid 1800 type of work for sure, solid
brass...

Upvote 0
Well after looking I think I found your part. I think it is the top front of the but plate pictured here. yours is just broken behind the attachment point. HH The final image is the best match to yours.
BK

Attachments

• 1746-brown-bess-musket-parts-list_4.jpg
    1746-brown-bess-musket-parts-list_4.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 101
  • brown bess.jpg
    brown bess.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 98
  • but plate.jpg
    but plate.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 130
  • but plate2.jpg
    but plate2.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 113
  • but plate3.jpg
    but plate3.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you found the pottery shards with your MD then it probably has a lead glaze. I also have found shards with my MD.
These were found in the hole with metal Collateral finds.

For sure its copper, looks a lot like hardware from a Brown Bess Riffle.
round thing with 2 holes goes into the wood, with a pin through to keep it from comming out.
Other hole is for an iron screw of some type, (Remains of which still block the hole)
I could not find something exactly like this, but late 1700 to mid 1800 type of work for sure, solid
brass...
Wow. Impressive knowledge!
Well after looking I think I found your part. I think it is the top front of the but plate pictured here. yours is just broken behind the attachment point. HH The final image is the best match to yours.
BK
GREAT JOB! I think you guys, along with Breezie, nailed it! This had been "repurposed" at some point to something that pivots (foot pedal) from it original use on the gun.

Thank you!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back