Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First in a lifetime hunt for me to the Caribbean.

I am landlocked here in KC but as I've gotten deeper into this hobby, beach and water hunting have become a draw. I'd had pretty good luck with dry sand hunting on Florida beaches, finding at least one gold every trip. But those hunts are few and far between, usually once per year. I rarely waded in to the water because I didn't trust what I was hearing on my machine.

In April, my bride and I celebrated our 20th anniversary in the Caribbean. I took my pulse dive and a snorkel (along with the dry sand equipment) and wouldn't you know, I swung\swam over 2 pieces of gold jewelry.

Shortly after we returned, I lucked into an invite for a 10 day Caribbean hunt. While it was busting my travel budget, we made the plunge and booked airfare, accommodations etc. I'd seen so many videos with water hunters using the Blu3 Nemo and had seriously considered it. This pushed me over the edge and I got the Nemo with an extra battery, weight belt, dive mask and the underwater headphones for the Legend. (note: anyone considering the Nemo or any other hookah diving, take the safety course seriously)

So I practiced in the neighbor's pool with the Nemo and the Legend and a pinpointer. Satisfied that I at least had a layman's understanding of the system, June 19th we flew way south.

There was a pretty steep learning curve trying to manage all the new systems underwater, but after a few dives it became easier. By day 4, I was hunting target for target with the rest of the group and I am thrilled with the result. Finding targets swimming the ocean floor was worth every penny. What surprised me was how beautiful, serene, and breathtaking the underwater environment is. What an amazing freedom to swim with sea life, in their own habitat, breathing underwater, leaving the ocean cleaner than we found it and getting the good stuff too. Experiencing this for the first time at 62 is something I will always cherish.

Whadifind?

1 Vintage J Boss pocket watch case gold filled
1 Women's gold ring 14K
1 Men's gold wedding ring 14K
1 Men's platinum wedding ring 950
1 Men's tungsten ring
1 Men's stainless ring
1 Silver chain
1 Silver earring
1 Rosie
Half dozen pair of sunglasses, tons of bling, dozens of foreign coins, at least 50 fishing weights, and 2 bushel baskets full of trash.

We'll be taking a family vacation to Florida in the fall. You can bet I'll be water hunting this time!

Thanks for peeking at my goodies and HH. Peace out.
Screenshot_20240625_085410_Gallery.jpg
20240625_190009.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2033.JPG
    IMG_2033.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2035.JPG
    IMG_2035.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2034.JPG
    IMG_2034.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2017.JPG
    IMG_2017.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2015.JPG
    IMG_2015.JPG
    818.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2016.JPG
    IMG_2016.JPG
    683.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2020.JPG
    IMG_2020.JPG
    954.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2019.JPG
    IMG_2019.JPG
    789.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2021.JPG
    IMG_2021.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2022.JPG
    IMG_2022.JPG
    867.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2023.JPG
    IMG_2023.JPG
    857.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2030.JPG
    IMG_2030.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2031.JPG
    IMG_2031.JPG
    720.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2026.JPG
    IMG_2026.JPG
    821.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2027.JPG
    IMG_2027.JPG
    879.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2028.JPG
    IMG_2028.JPG
    783.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2029.JPG
    IMG_2029.JPG
    769.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Upvote 46
First in a lifetime hunt for me to the Caribbean.

I am landlocked here in KC but as I've gotten deeper into this hobby, beach and water hunting have become a draw. I'd had pretty good luck with dry sand hunting on Florida beaches, finding at least one gold every trip. But those hunts are few and far between, usually once per year. I rarely waded in to the water because I didn't trust what I was hearing on my machine.

In April, my bride and I celebrated our 20th anniversary in the Caribbean. I took my pulse dive and a snorkel (along with the dry sand equipment) and wouldn't you know, I swung\swam over 2 pieces of gold jewelry.

Shortly after we returned, I lucked into an invite for a 10 day Caribbean hunt. While it was busting my travel budget, we made the plunge and booked airfare, accommodations etc. I'd seen so many videos with water hunters using the Blu3 Nemo and had seriously considered it. This pushed me over the edge and I got the Nemo with an extra battery, weight belt, dive mask and the underwater headphones for the Legend. (note: anyone considering the Nemo or any other hookah diving, take the safety course seriously)

So I practiced in the neighbor's pool with the Nemo and the Legend and a pinpointer. Satisfied that I at least had a layman's understanding of the system, June 19th we flew way south.

There was a pretty steep learning curve trying to manage all the new systems underwater, but after a few dives it became easier. By day 4, I was hunting target for target with the rest of the group and I am thrilled with the result. Finding targets swimming the ocean floor was worth every penny. What surprised me was how beautiful, serene, and breathtaking the underwater environment is. What an amazing freedom to swim with sea life, in their own habitat, breathing underwater, leaving the ocean cleaner than we found it and getting the good stuff too. Experiencing this for the first time at 62 is something I will always cherish.

Whadifind?

1 Vintage J Boss pocket watch case gold filled
1 Women's gold ring 14K
1 Men's gold wedding ring 14K
1 Men's platinum wedding ring 950
1 Men's tungsten ring
1 Men's stainless ring
1 Silver chain
1 Silver earring
1 Rosie
Half dozen pair of sunglasses, tons of bling, dozens of foreign coins, at least 50 fishing weights, and 2 bushel baskets full of trash.

We'll be taking a family vacation to Florida in the fall. You can bet I'll be water hunting this time!

Thanks for peeking at my goodies and HH. Peace out.View attachment 2160593View attachment 2160594
Congratulations on your great recoveries

Yup, it was a fun trip! Let's do it again soon! :icon_thumleft:

Congrats on your finds, but more importantly on that 20 year anniversary ! My wife and I are going meet our 2 kids and our grandkids in Myrtle Beach for our 40th anniversary in May of this upcoming year. Yes, my detector is coming on the trip (and it may be my last anniversary) :laughing7:

Congrats on your finds, but more importantly on that 20 year anniversary ! My wife and I are going meet our 2 kids and our grandkids in Myrtle Beach for our 40th anniversary in May of this upcoming year. Yes, my detector is coming on the trip (and it may be my last anniversary) :laughing7:
If you've found a way to stop time from passing by, please don't keep it to yourself! :icon_thumleft: :laughing7:

Excellent post, and welcome to the madness of underwater detecting....it truly is a blast, and I feel your passion...congrats on the fantastic trip !!

Excellent post, and welcome to the madness of underwater detecting....it truly is a blast, and I feel your passion...congrats on the fantastic trip !!
Thanks Blak bart. I still love diggin' too but that underwater detecting in the ocean was fantastic. I actually used the Nemo on a ring return this week but the water clarity around here is pretty bad. Kinda searching around blindly, but it got the job done. HH

Congratulations on the great finds and your 20th anniversary! Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back