Cap Badge, Coin Weight and a Hammered

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Had quite a good six hours on a new field today.

The Cap Badge was laying on top and nearly blew my ears off. The coin weight and the hammered came from a corner of the field right next to a church.

I got a few other bits too :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• P1000361.JPG
    P1000361.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,012
  • P1000367.JPG
    P1000367.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,007
  • P1000386.JPG
    P1000386.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,016
  • P1000379.JPG
    P1000379.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,005
  • P1000375.JPG
    P1000375.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,017
  • P1000384.JPG
    P1000384.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,008
  • P1000385.JPG
    P1000385.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 1,008
  • P1000388.JPG
    P1000388.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,007
Upvote 0
shaun7 said:
HISPAN said:
It can not be Shaun has published his best post for months :o . I like almost all the finds and pics of this post.
Greetings! :hello2:

Could be :icon_thumleft:

Thanks Hispan :thumbsup:

It is very difficult to find a coin weight in my country .. and much more if it is decorated .
These pictures tell a lot about you, a relic hunter but also a Londoner who loves contemporary art. London and Barcelona are very similar. ::)
Greetings!

That's it. I'll marry any ugly diseased Brit for a UK passport.

And I don't think the badge matches the one in the book. Note the shape of the very bottom and the shape/slopes of the crown. Hopefully it's an even better one.

That is a great day, never had such an early Military badge, that would have made my year. Must be worth a fair price to the right collector, close to one of your best, based on Condition/Rarity :o :o :o

CRUSADER said:
That is a great day, never had such an early Military badge, that would have made my year. Must be worth a fair price to the right collector, close to one of your best, based on Condition/Rarity :o :o :o

Shaun didn't update the thread, but I don't think he'll mind my sharing the bad news before too many post replying to what is now a very wrong line of thought on this one.

I first emailed someone who is an expert in early military. He said the coat of arms looked either 1812 era, or 1830s, but wasn't sure as he couldn't tell from the picture. He also questioned if it was a cartridge plate, which actually got me thinking a little that it does look fairly heavy duty for a cartridge box plate. But trying to stay optimistic, I wrote someone who collects 1812 military plates and I figure knows as much as just about anyone on that period. His answer was it's most likely a Victorian horse boss.

So combining the two answers it seems like it's an early Victorian military horse boss. Still a great find, but Shaun did go to work today! :laughing7:

Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:

Shaun didn't update the thread, but I don't think he'll mind my sharing the bad news before too many post replying to what is now a very wrong line of thought on this one.

I first emailed someone who is an expert in early military. He said the coat of arms looked either 1812 era, or 1830s, but wasn't sure as he couldn't tell from the picture. He also questioned if it was a cartridge plate, which actually got me thinking a little that it does look fairly heavy duty for a cartridge box plate. But trying to stay optimistic, I wrote someone who collects 1812 military plates and I figure knows as much as just about anyone on that period. His answer was it's most likely a Victorian horse boss.

So combining the two answers it seems like it's an early Victorian military horse boss. Still a great find, but Shaun did go to work today! :laughing7:

Thats fine, I thought the Crown Victorian in date, its still rare in my searching career, OK maybe not as collectable/expensive as others, but a great find in my books :icon_thumright:

I can't get them older than WWI

Sorry for not updating, it was very late and I was distraught :laughing9:

Thanks everyone :icon_thumleft:

Shaun, match the Royal arms on the front to date it just to be sure it's Victorian. Or post a closer pic and someone here will probably do it. Maybe you can squeeze it back to William. :-X

Yesterday when I got the email saying it wasn't what we had hoped.... I replied... "Well that should slow down his pulse down a bit" Today he replied saying.... "hopefully not too much" :laughing7:

BloodyBelle said:
I'll be posting some maybe British Empire stuff. Hope y'all take a look see. I'll probably call it British medals & insignia. Maybe by your morning.
:icon_thumleft:

what did the girls say about that nice Victorian horse brass 'swinger'?

Nice piece for sure, what a great day out. :icon_thumright:

SHAUN I believe that you have found a Regiment Heraldic Sheild of a british horse artillery wagon or horse decoration. Very nice find

tinpan i hate you :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

this horse ornament is beautiful... :D

Iron Patch said:
Shaun, match the Royal arms on the front to date it just to be sure it's Victorian. Or post a closer pic and someone here will probably do it. Maybe you can squeeze it back to William. :-X

Yesterday when I got the email saying it wasn't what we had hoped.... I replied... "Well thought should slow down his pulse down a bit" Today he replied saying.... "hopefully not too much" :laughing7:

Sorry IP, I missed this post last night. I've done some better pics (I think) :-\

Attachments

• P1000395.JPG
    P1000395.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 426
  • P1000394.JPG
    P1000394.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 438
  • P1000393.JPG
    P1000393.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 425
:headbang:

George III - In 1801, when George III renounced his title as King of France under the Treaty of Paris, the French quartering was removed. The arms of England then occupied the first and fourth quarters, the arms of Scotland the second, and the arms of Ireland the third. For Hanover, there was an escutcheon overall surmounted by the electoral bonnet, which was replaced in 1816 by a Royal Crown (when Hanover became a Kingdom).

http://www.fleurdelis.com/royal.htm

Attachments

• georgeiii.gif
    georgeiii.gif
    23.2 KB · Views: 392
Iron Patch said:
:headbang:

George III - In 1801, when George III renounced his title as King of France under the Treaty of Paris, the French quartering was removed. The arms of England then occupied the first and fourth quarters, the arms of Scotland the second, and the arms of Ireland the third. For Hanover, there was an escutcheon overall surmounted by the electoral bonnet, which was replaced in 1816 by a Royal Crown (when Hanover became a Kingdom).

http://www.fleurdelis.com/royal.htm

That's the one :icon_thumleft:

tinpan said:
SHAUN I believe that you have found a Regiment Heraldic Sheild of a british horse artillery wagon or horse decoration. Very nice find

tinpan i hate you :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

Worth nuggets :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back