Cans To Coins

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_2160.JPG
I went to a coin show this past Sunday and bought these eight Barber Dimes with money I got from picking up soda and beer cans that people toss to the side of the road. I don't go out of my way but pick up whatever is on the roads I normally travel. The cans used to be worth only five cents and I didn't bother with them but since January the state of Conecticut has raised the deposit price to ten cents per can which adds up kind of fast. I had $29 from the cans I picked up and spent $28 of it on the Barber Dimes......$3.50 per coin. The next show is in November and I've already started saving more can finds.

View attachment 2164128 I went to a coin show this past Sunday and bought these eight Barber Dimes with money I got from picking up soda and beer cans that people toss to the side of the road. I don't go out of my way but pick up whatever is on the roads I normally travel. The cans used to be worth only five cents and I didn't bother with them but since January the state of Conecticut has raised the deposit price to ten cents per can which adds up kind of fast. I had $29 from the cans I picked up and spent $28 of it on the Barber Dimes......$3.50 per coin. The next show is in November and I've already started saving more can finds.

Years ago I worked with a CPA I nicknamed "Beer Bottle Bob" after he told me his story. He lived in a rural area on a dead end road with a road house at the end of it. If you remember, back in The Day, beer bottles were sold with deposits. Bob started to pick up the empty bottles tossed out of cars by patrons on their way to the resort. Then he began to find full bottles people had stashed but failed to retrieve. He sold these back to the store when he turned in the empties.

One day his dad discovered that Bob had quite a tidy stash of cash for a kid his age. The old man didn't know a lot about high finance, but he knew that money could go to work just like he did. So he invested Bob's money in GM stock.

The years went by and Bob kept at it and the GM stock grew and when he graduated from high school, he had the money to go to college. The first member of his family. Then he paid for his sister's education.

I always pick up cans and bottles on my daily dog walk. California CRV. I haven't made enough to pay for college, but it cleans up the neighborhood and it's found money.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Years ago I worked with a CPA I nicknamed "Beer Bottle Bob" after he told me his story. He lived in a rural area on a dead end road with a road house at the end of it. If you remember, back in The Day, beer bottles were sold with deposits. Bob started to pick up the empty bottles tossed out of cars by patrons on their way to the resort. Then he began to find full bottles people had stashed but failed to retrieve. He sold these back to the store when he turned in the empties.

One day his dad discovered that Bob had quite a tidy stash of cash for a kid his age. The old man didn't know a lot about high finance, but he knew that money could go to work just like he did. So he invested Bob's money in GM stock.

The years went by and Bob kept at it and the GM stock grew and when he graduated from high school, he had the money to go to college. The first member of his family. Then he paid for his sister's education.

I always pick up cans and bottles on my daily dog walk. California CRV. I haven't made enough to pay for college, but it cleans up the neighborhood and it's found money.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
A true All-American success story. I remember that returnables in the 1950's were only worth 2 cents each so he did a lot of picking but it paid off well.

Very nice, I do the same thing but with scrap Copper I pick up at the jobsites. After I have accumulated a fair amount, I cash it in, and drive right to the coin shop for a certified coin I may need for my collection, or silver bars. Get rid of the garbage and buy the good stuff !

The easy way to turn aluminum into silver! :laughing7: :icon_thumleft:

Very nice, I do the same thing but with scrap Copper I pick up at the jobsites. After I have accumulated a fair amount, I cash it in, and drive right to the coin shop for a certified coin I may need for my collection, or silver bars. Get rid of the garbage and buy the good stuff !
Thank you......That's the way to do it. I consider the cans "free money". 💰

I just returned from Michigan and CRV is a dime a can or bottle. Remarkably little litter.
It's ten cents per can or bottle here in Connecticut and the roadsides are full of empties.

I do the same thing, just there is no deposit price in FL, and you get usually around the current melt price. I have a large garbage bag of crushed cans in my garage that hopefully has the same fate as yours. 8-)

Good for you. Free silver.

Showed my electrician the value of scrap wire.
He was a believer when the family paid holidays started to happen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back