Cannon Ball, Grenade?

RedBrangus

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is this? Cannon Ball, a grenade? Found it half buried in the wood on my property. It weighs 1.11lbs. Thanks!

canon1.jpgcanon2.jpg

Hollow? White metal? Not a cannonball or grenade but some of the ancient toilets used these inside.

Upvote 0
It is soild metal very heavy. It isn't or wasn't white that I can tell.... How ancient of a toilet?

Upvote 0
I see you are brand-new here, so first I'll say "Welcome to TreasureNet!" :)

Now, about the metal (presumably iron) ball you found:
Cannonballs and pre-20th-Century grenades did not have an "indented" seam on them ...which your ball has.

Does a magnet stick to it?

Also ...though you did not tell us the ball's diameter, I thank you for precisely measuring its weight (1.11 pounds). Next, we'll need the ball's precise diameter (in at least tenths-of-an-inch) to be able to calculate with certainty whether it is a solid one or has a cavity inside it. Perhaps that will help is figure out what it actually is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If it's a plumbing piece, late 19th century early 20th. I know I've seen something like this before but can't remember what or when.

Upvote 0
It is exactly 6.5" around, and is 3" long. It weighs 1lb 11.4oz.

It also has a "raised" seam going the length of it on both sides. Couldn't find a magnet, but I am almost certain it is steel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Strange find, was anything else found around it ?

Upvote 0
In your first post, you said it weighed 1.11 pounds. Now that you've corrected that to 1 pound 11.4 ounces (a major difference), I can say with certainty that it is a Solid (not hollow) ball. That, of course, excludes it from being an artillery projectile or grenade.

The projections on opposite sides from each other make me think it was mounted on something. Perhaps it is a piece of Ornamental Ironwork, such as part of a fireplace andiron.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back