Can you tell me what this Trigger Guard is from? Date?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the photos--item found by my buddy Coinmaster2db. I'm interested in any information you could provide about what type of weapon this is from, and the age of the piece. The serial number on the piece is 290165.

Thank you in advance.

-Buckles

Summer 2008 001.jpg

Summer 2008 003.jpg

I'll agree on it looking like a Colt part. It could be from a Single Action Army model or from an earlier model like the one Montana Jim posted a picture of. If it is from a SAA that serial number should put the date of manufacture around 1907-1910. That's info from the top of my head. I'll try to dig out my book and give you a better date.

Upvote 0
Wow!!! Proof that my brain CAN retain information. 1907 it is.

Now we just need to see if any other Colt revolvers used that range of serial numbers. The cap and ball Colts triggerguards are very similar to the SAA's. If memory serves, I think the '51 Navy and SAA triggerguards were interchangeable.

Upvote 0
Well, It looks like a 1907 mfg. Colt SAA is the only choice. None of the other Colt revolvers have serial numbers in that range.

Upvote 0
That is the bare trigger guard from a SAA Colt 1873.
There should be two threaded holes on the bottom of the grip part. The mainspring screwed onto the inside hole and the backstrap screwed onto the bottom one.

Valuable and cool part. Oldish too at 1907.

The first comparison picture is comparing this part to an incorrect 1860 Army from about 1870.

Upvote 0
Good job GL!

My first pic comparing the two was to get it in the Colt family...

I think after tracking serial numbers I felt it was also wrong...

Upvote 0
I noticed the screw holes and width were a little off. Then I saw the smooth cylinder and the barrel wedge.

I figured you were narrowing it down when you made the post. Fine work singling out the Colt brand. With a serial number that makes the rest easy! Gotta love careful record keeping!

Believe it or not, that part might still be worth something if it cleans up nice and the front screw hole can be built back up and smoothed. Original SAA parts are collectible.

Upvote 0
Nice work, everyone!

So it is a SAA Colt from 1907? ;D

I'm sure that'll make him happy! Any idea on the value of these pieces? I know the repro ones run $30-40 or so...

Thank you all again. I knew I could count on you, Jim--and GL you've been a BIG help too!

Upvote 0
Thank you again for your help in identifying this Kewl relic. :icon_king:

Upvote 0
maybe a navy colt i have 2 36 cal black powders one is a 1851the other a 1858 sheriffs model and are they brass

Upvote 0
In looking at the pictures of the Colt on my monitor, it's so dark I can't see the screw holes in front and behind the trigger guard. If the screw holes aren't there ,it's a one piece casting and ain't a Colt is it? I'm not saying it's not, just that on my monitor I can't tell. Monty

Upvote 0
Monty said:
In looking at the pictures of the Colt on my monitor, it's so dark I can't see the screw holes in front and behind the trigger guard. If the screw holes aren't there ,it's a one piece casting and ain't a Colt is it? I'm not saying it's not, just that on my monitor I can't tell. Monty

The two in back are there, the one in front is missing because it's broken off right at the serial number. You can see where it was though...

Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
Monty said:

The two in back are there, the one in front is missing because it's broken off right at the serial number. You can see where it was though...

Yep. Front one is broken.

Thank you all again for your help. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Wasn;t doubting the ID, just unable to make out the object clearly on my monitor. Every one of the posts seem so dark I can't see them clearly. I have been lightening them up in editor but for some reson I am unable to pull this one. Thanks. Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back