✅ SOLVED Can anyone ID this coin please?

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone have any ideas what this “coin” might be, assuming it is a coin? It is about the size of a modern U.S. small cent. On one side I can make out what I think is an N and a clover. (The clover seems to be part of a crown. There is also a pellet just before the letter N.). On the other side, there is a circle with several letters inside it, including an L and S (and maybe an E before the S). Along the edge I think I see a D, C, O and an 8. I dug it at a former homesite where I previously found a 1/2 real from the late 1700s and several U.S. large cents from the early 1800s. I know this “coin” is trash, but my curiosity is getting to me. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!
IMG_7685.jpeg
IMG_7690.jpeg
IMG_7704.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 2
I am leaning more and more toward a trade farthing. Thanks again for the comment and opinion.
I've dug a few in England and the inner ring reminded me of them.
Lots of varieties though.

Upvote 2
Hi - Did you find this in Massachusetts? Cool find! I think it is a Schiling of Duchy of Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorp (German States / Denmark).

Here's the Numista page -
I took an image from Worthpoint to mark a comparison -

Attachments

• holstein.jpg
    holstein.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 13
Hi - Did you find this in Massachusetts? Cool find! I think it is a Schiling of Duchy of Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorp (German States / Denmark).

Wow, I do believe we have a match/winner here!

I looked myself blind without finding anything close to help the OP on a possible ID!

Last edited:
Upvote 4

You got it!!! Amazing job on the ID, as I did not give you much to work with, and that seems like a somewhat obscure coin. Thank you so much for the ID and images, as the curiosity was killing me. I never would’ve guessed this was silver, and now wonder if there is a way to clean it up better. And yes, I did find this in Massachusetts. Thanks again. I will mark this one as solved.

Upvote 3
Wow, I do believe we have a match/winner here!

I looked myself blind without finding anything close to help the OP on a possible ID!
Thank you for your time and effort on my behalf. I appreciate all the helpful and knowledgeable folks on this site.

Upvote 1
that's what we are here for! Nice ID, and when you notice the date range (and where it was found), it also is a great example of what colonists had to go through to create and kick start an economy, while their European masters sat back laughing and ignored them. .... who's laughing now!!!!

Upvote 2

Great ID!!!!

Upvote 1
that's what we are here for! Nice ID, and when you notice the date range (and where it was found), it also is a great example of what colonists had to go through to create and kick start an economy, while their European masters sat back laughing and ignored them. .... who's laughing now!!!!
Thanks!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back