Jul 13, 2016
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 ltd
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first treasurenet message.
I have used treasurenet forums many times past to help identify my dug up unknowns.
Anyway, this one has got me stumped...help appreciated.
Found this item one inch in ground. The ground a strip of grass next to a softball field parking lot. Parking lot next to the place I work...Miami Oklahoma.
Best I can tell, silver plated copper, dome shaped, size of quarter, possible clothing button.
The design is (I think) a patonce cross, plus a crown over the letter "m".
I've researched this thing a lot and the closest image match I have found is the British OBE (Order of the British Empire). This item is not OBE. Maybe British design...I don't know.
So, help id please. Thanks.
P1010001.JPGP1010002.JPG

Hi; It may be British but I doubt it's a button. It appears WAY to heavy. Has a convex or sealant type lid and no shank either. Other than that Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

Upvote 0
Hi; It may be British but I doubt it's a button. It appears WAY to heavy. Has a convex or sealant type lid and no shank either. Other than that Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

I agree-not a button. Beyond that I have no clue :dontknow:

Upvote 0
It looks like the business end of some type of drawer pull.

Neat find :)
Breezie

Upvote 0
Thank you all for replies to my original post. Last night, my wife cleaned the item and she mentioned the silver plating is much heavier than modern plated items. She is of the opinion it may be pretty old...before World War II, I guess. I trust her opinion about such things. I thought the thing might be some sort of decorative item that removed itself from a crimp type setting. When my wife saw my original original post to this forum and my "decorative disk" opinion...she said, "no, obviously a button" and I said, "of course!" and I changed the original post (how many times have you heard that story?).
By the way, I think I will put together a message regarding something I dug up last week. The item is not so spectacular, but I think the location and circumstances of that particular dig may be of interest to some treasurenet readers. I will probably post the story in the recent finds section of treasurenet forums.
Rusty

Upvote 0
It seems about the right size for the top part of an ink well cap.

s-l1600.jpg

Maybe the field was an old home site... Or if your sports fields are like ours in Virginia, the dirt to make them level can come from anywhere.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back