silver spoon end 010.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 284
  • silver spoon end 013.JPG
    silver spoon end 013.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 294
Re: button help?

Broken knee said:
Iron Patch said:
Are you sure it's 2 piece? Pretty typical design of Charles II.

http://foundintheground.com/photos/stuart/picture1882.aspx
yes it was 2 piece the iron back is partially there. :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee

Cru should be very familiar with those. I still think it's old, but what you're seeing is really hard crud and the small bit of iron left over from what linked the links together. Not something we find here, but definitely they do in the UK, probably in some good numbers too. It might have had a pewter filled back, but not two piece, at least in the sense we usually use.

I've seen these many time but always from the front.

Upvote 0

I agree with IP, without too much doubt that is a 17th century button/cufflink and I would not call that a two piece type at all. That is a good find if you found it here in the States.

Don

Upvote 0

I think you guy's are right, in looking at it it is quite thick and it doesn't appear to have a folded over rim like a standard 2 piece. Also it does look more like crud than rust I'll give it a HP bath maybe it will help Thanks HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee

Upvote 0

Broken knee said:
I think you guy's are right, in looking at it it is quite thick and it doesn't appear to have a folded over rim like a standard 2 piece. Also it does look more like crud than rust I'll give it a HP bath maybe it will help Thanks HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee

I don't think the hp will do much on that. That stuff is usually like cement. Plus don't worry about the back, it's not a big deal... any deal at all really. Having said that the HP will clean up the front a little.

Upvote 0

Iron Patch said:
Broken knee said:
Iron Patch said:
Are you sure it's 2 piece? Pretty typical design of Charles II.

http://foundintheground.com/photos/stuart/picture1882.aspx
yes it was 2 piece the iron back is partially there. :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee

Cru should be very familiar with those. I still think it's old, but what you're seeing is really hard crud and the small bit of iron left over from what linked the links together. Not something we find here, but definitely they do in the UK, probably in some good numbers too. It might have had a pewter filled back, but not two piece, at least in the sense we usually use.

I've seen these many time but always from the front.

I have one in silver....nice find :icon_thumleft:

Here's the back, just for you IP ;D

Attachments

• cuff 002.JPG
    cuff 002.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 268
  • cuff 005.JPG
    cuff 005.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 224
Upvote 0

Broken knee said:
Iron Patch said:
Broken knee said:
So are these rare or just rare here? :dontknow:
Thanks, Broken Knee

Just rare there.
IP I don't want to sound dumb, but Is this the only one to have been found or posted here?
BK

That's a very good question. Most on here don't have sites old enough to find something like that with the some exceptions... Don (SJ), Timekiller, GW digger, and Bill in VA are some. I don't recall any posted but that doesn't mean they weren't.

Upvote 0

Iron Patch said:
Broken knee said:
Iron Patch said:
Broken knee said:
Just rare there.
IP I don't want to sound dumb, but Is this the only one to have been found or posted here?
BK

That's a very good question. Most on here don't have sites old enough to find something like that with the some exceptions... Don (SJ), Timekiller, GW digger, and Bill in VA are some. I don't recall any posted but that doesn't mean they weren't.
Thanks, I guess I'll take that as if i don't find the other half I wont find another!!
My last question is why am I not finding the silver it's got to be there some ware? I cant believe all the other people that hit this site got it all and missed the large coppers and relics I've found. I'm stumped :icon_scratch:
Broken Knee

Upvote 0

Broken knee said:
Iron Patch said:
Broken knee said:
Iron Patch said:
Broken knee said:
Just rare there.
BK

Thanks, I guess I'll take that as if i don't find the other half I wont find another!!
My last question is why am I not finding the silver it's got to be there some ware? I cant believe all the other people that hit this site got it all and missed the large coppers and relics I've found. I'm stumped :icon_scratch:
Broken Knee

Because old silver isn't out there in great numbers, just posted on this website in great numbers. There's plenty of other killer finds that can turn up besides silver so I wouldn't worry about it. I don't find as many as I used to but doesn't bother me at all.

Upvote 0

OK, firstly its a cufflink & secondly the 17th century association with the Marriage of King Charles II (1660s cufflinks were not in fashion) is someones best guess which has gained a life of its own. I believe these to be late 18th C & the evidence for the late 17th century cufflinks that came into fashion were 2 distinct types (not this one). Plus evidence from the Thames contexts argue against this being 17th C. But there are as many for the theory as against it, & my view is just another against, so you will have to base your judgement on other clues from the site etc...

Upvote 0

:read2:

Great find for your part of the World :o cuff-link button, or shirt stud, from 17th century, Typical design of two hearts surmounted by a crown.
There are quite a few variations of this design, it could be that the type of cuff-link button, or shirt stud, was issued while commemorating the marriages of different royalty, ranging from Charles II Marriage, to Catherine of Braganza (1662) to George III Marriage, to Charlotte of Mecklenberg-Strelitz in 1761.

I think this is a Later date than 1660's, and is not associated with the Restoration of Charles11, but still a cool find :icon_thumleft:

SS

Upvote 0

CRUSADER said:
OK, firstly its a cufflink & secondly the 17th century association with the Marriage of King Charles II (1660s cufflinks were not in fashion) is someones best guess which has gained a life of its own. I believe these to be late 18th C & the evidence for the late 17th century cufflinks that came into fashion were 2 distinct types (not this one). Plus evidence from the Thames contexts argue against this being 17th C. But there are as many for the theory as against it, & my view is just another against, so you will have to base your judgement on other clues from the site etc...
Wow, are you guy's still mad about the marriage sorry. :laughing7: Cru this cuff link came from the same site as the coin weight I posted you ID it as 1610 James 1 for the gold half angel. I appreciate your in put, Thanks HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back