• IMG_2724.jpg
    IMG_2724.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 964
  • IMG_2725.jpg
    IMG_2725.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 936
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
I have found many mid to larger caliber round bullets with "X's" on them. Sharpshooters were very particular about their bullets. To get the absolute best accuracy they wanted to be sure the ball was oriented the same way shot after shot. So, they often would cut or grind off the sprue and put an X on the bullet. In the dark they could feel the X and be sure to load it correctly.
Best Wishes, Buckles
[/quote] It's a mystery to me and others. Thanks for the reply. [/quote]
I guess my reply is chopped liver... :-\ :dontknow:[/quote] [/quote] Well, it's not a mystery to me what that that bullet is. :wink:

bigcypresshunter said:
I thought I was the only one that argued. Now I dont feel so bad. :D

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D You know; "You can lead a horse................" LOL!!

Skypilot
[/quote]

Upvote 0
mainer said:
Hey Buckles do you think an old smooth bore would really shoot better if the bullet was loaded the same way everytime? Or would that be a superstition that the shooter had? As I understand they were not that accurate at any distance?
I know the question is not directed toward me but for what its worth, my modern muzzleloading round balls have a flat sprue spot like the one pictured. The directions say to load with the flat spot always up. I use a greased patch with the lead ball and it is extremely accurate. I have killed many wild hogs shot accurately in the head with my .45 caliber mountain rifle loaded with greased patch and round ball. I built the rifle from a CVA kit in the early 80's. My rifle has rifling. A smoothbore would not be very accurate, so the loading would probably not matter.

When I find a ball or the old directions, I will try to post. Maybe the round balls found by SS are older possibly lacking this flat spot? :dontknow:

Attachments

• CVA muzzleloading rifle.jpg
    CVA muzzleloading rifle.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 300
Upvote 0
I dont dig many round balls here in South Florida but I found one of my modern .45 caliber lead muzzleloading hunting balls.

You will notice the flat sprue spot. (BTW my .45 pistol round balls do not have a flat spot).
The directions state to load flat spot facing up.

I would imagine flat spot facing down would also work well. Maybe a sharpshooter would prefer to shoot spru facing down. In this case he would need a mark on the other side to load properly.

Although game piece sounds plausible, I would have to agree with Buckles and Spooky. If the "x" is directly across from the flat spot, I would say its a sharpshooters bullet marking to facilitate loading...

Attachments

• round ball.jpg
    round ball.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 276
Upvote 0
:icon_scratch:

Can anyone explain why the one posted has two marks on it :icon_scratch: I can understand and agree with the one Will posted, but the one posted one has two different marks on it, also neither marks seem central....like the one Will posted :dontknow: it also looks more like a cross rather than an X :icon_scratch:

SS

Upvote 0
mainer said:
Hey Buckles do you think an old smooth bore would really shoot better if the bullet was loaded the same way everytime? Or would that be a superstition that the shooter had? As I understand they were not that accurate at any distance?

My guess is that they *might* be a hair more accurate--but for a smoothbore I'd say that it was largely superstition.

Upvote 0
I doubt your find much any older then these I've found here in the U.S. as some date to the 1500's and are called spanish shot.But I've found all sizes,shapes,some chewed,some has hit things in flight,some have never been fired,some have spuces still on, some don't,some are perfect round,some are not,etc. :D But I can say it's a musket ball you are asking about in your pic. :laughing7: :D :thumbsup:
Take Care Everybody!
Pete :hello:

Attachments

• DSCN0923.JPG
    DSCN0923.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 250
  • DSCN0924.JPG
    DSCN0924.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 252
  • DSCN0928.JPG
    DSCN0928.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 262
  • DSCN0929.JPG
    DSCN0929.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 256
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies Big cypress and buckles. I figured in a rifled barrel it could make a difference but had my doubts on a smooth bore. Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Has anyone considered the man who made this musket ball was a religious man who knew he was going to have to shoot a pagan Indian? After all, many settlers who came to Ohio, especially along the Ohio River, were their as envoys of Christ. Just askin??

Upvote 0
Mick those were called dum-dum bullets, highly illegal to use, don't get caught with any.......NGE

They are not illegal at all. They ARE against the Geneva Convention to be used in warfare . . . but so are all exposed lead nosed projectiles. Since the United States never signed the Geneva Convention it doesn't apply for domestic use - provided you're not at war.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back