chain hold and buckle.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 259
  • pat date buckle.JPG
    pat date buckle.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 252
  • chain hold and buckle.JPG
    chain hold and buckle.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 255
Looks like suspender-buckle-style. I'm a little perplexed by the hook on the top. Maybe for feeding a strap through and using the hook to pull the buckle and tighten the strap?

Upvote 0
I think it is a bit too heavy for suspenders...seems to be cast of iron....but that is why I am here...to ask questions, and recieve answers!

Upvote 0
Suspender Buckle for ......

" BIG BAD JOHN " ??? ??? ???

HH TIM

Upvote 0
My guess is a hanger of some sort. Military sword hanger? Carbine Hanger? From Indian Wars Era (Post Civil War). The teeth are clearly designed to bite into leather. The hook would most likely hang below that for whatever it held to suspend straight down. The loop below the hook could be for securing the device to something to keep it from swinging freely such as the wearers leg. We call this a WAG back home. Wild A** Guess!!! But it does fit the time when many swords and carbines were being used. I Googled the patent date and came up with nothing. Typed it in many different ways. If you look at buckles from that period you see some things pretty close but no cigar. Whatever it is, I can truely say that it is the very best one I have ever seen!!!

Good Luck

Jim

Upvote 0
One more suggestion. There is a feature in Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine where you can send in a photo and description of your finds and an expert will let you know what it is. Go online to their website and see the details. You can also pick up a copy of the magazine also at any Books a Million. It is located in the magaizines near the coin collecting magazines. The details for submitting your find is included in the magazine.

Good luck and let us know.

Upvote 0
I've put harness on lots of teams and this is definitely an old buckle off
of the older harness.

Okie Hillbillies......................................

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the help everybody!
Baggins

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back