Antique water nozzles

IHC656

Jul 17, 2023
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was curious on the manufacture dateā€™s of these water nozzles. I thought Iā€™d see if anyone here would know.
Have one marked (cascade)
Another marked (Diamond)
And a crude brass nozzle has no markings, this one was found at a home abandoned approximately 1933.
6BB101C3-C47E-4A57-81D6-81596B3D482E.jpeg

I dont know how to or any dating info on these...
i have several myself... and all i know is... they don't make em like that anymore.
And haven't for at least many many years it appears.

I do know they are not really that old in general... perhaps they stem from as early as the 20's ? but i am purely speculating.
Perhaps someone here knows a bit more on these and will shed some more light than this.

There's a fellow in the Genesee Valley Treasure Seekers that specializes in old nozzles. Sorry I don't recall his name.

Throughout my lifetime, the two main styles of nozzles were the chrome-plated pistol type, and these twist-type brass beauties. We've always had the brass--still got one--they last for decades if not longer.

Solid brass nozzles are still available today, and collections are selling on auction sites for an avg. of a few bucks apiece.

IDK if there's such a thing as a "collectible" garden nozzle. :dontknow:
Now, fire hose nozzles... I understand are quite collectible, but chances of finding one MDing are probably pretty slim. I can't imagine a fire brigade just losing/tossing one.

Solid brass nozzles are still available today, and collections are selling on auction sites for an avg. of a few bucks apiece.

IDK if there's such a thing as a "collectible" garden nozzle. :dontknow:
Now, fire hose nozzles... I understand are quite collectible, but chances of finding one MDing are probably pretty slim. I can't imagine a fire brigade just losing/tossing one.
Thanks for the comment, I been just looking through some of my previous metal detecting finds while I recover from my knee surgery.
Seen Amazon was selling new.
Only curious as to the age. I thought these nozzles were interesting to look at and maybe use again.

Thanks for the comment, I been just looking through some of my previous metal detecting finds while I recover from my knee surgery.
Seen Amazon was selling new.
Only curious as to the age. I thought these nozzles were interesting to look at and maybe use again.
Go for it. They're easy enough to recondition (if needed) and washers are readily available.

I wish I could help more with the age (mostly cuz I'm curious myself) There's a claim that an 1898 patent is the first/oldest garden nozzle, but if you read the patent, it's a "Patent for certain new and useful improvements in hose nozzles..."

However, I would think anything older than that would look quite different than what we think of.

I found a couple of the CASCADE nozzles on ebay by searching cascade garden nozzle (the only one I could read).

Cascade still makes nozzles. No date, but I'd try that with the others if there are any markings.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back