Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to drive up to Reno for a few days to get the house in order for the summer stay. My buddy talked me into spending a day out looking for artifacts (much to the wife's dismay) and I'm sure glad he did!
We found some pretty nice points, but the biggie for me was the pump-drill flywheel! I've found many of these broken and even 85% complete, but never whole.
IMG_5114.jpeg

I could see it standing there from 20 feet away, just waiting to be saved!

Other finds included some shell beads, knives, Elko dart points, Early leaf, Humboldt and Rose Spring points, a mano, and a large grooved pestle.

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 8.19.43 AM.png

That was a nice change from metal detecting and glad to get out there before things get too hot here.

I added an image of a pump-drill in case anybody was unaware of them.

That last pic is a coyote skeleton.

Attachments

• IMG_5125.jpeg
    IMG_5125.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5126.jpeg
    IMG_5126.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 126
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 8.09.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 8.09.52 AM.png
    229.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5103.jpeg
    IMG_5103.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5104.jpeg
    IMG_5104.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5116.jpeg
    IMG_5116.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5117.jpeg
    IMG_5117.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5120.jpeg
    IMG_5120.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Upvote 36
That's a bunch of great finds & saves. Thanks for sharing. I dont hunt for artifacts as much as my friend, but I've never seen a pump drill tool. Can I ask what that pump drill stone tool measures across it. Thanks.

You were on fire! I have never seen one of those posted here. A very interesting and rare tool. A must have in ancient times. Probably the best technology of the day was the pump drill.
Congrats on your find!

That's a bunch of great finds & saves. Thanks for sharing. I dont hunt for artifacts as much as my friend, but I've never seen a pump drill tool. Can I ask what that pump drill stone tool measures across it. Thanks.
Thanks! Yeah, I forgot to put something in the pic for reference. It's about 2 1/2" in diameter.

What a great piece that is! Actually lots of nice pieces Oldmxrat. Yeah, I would have suffered the wrath of the wife to find those goodies. Congrats on a nice haul!
Thanks Jeff! Yeah, a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do!

You were on fire! I have never seen one of those posted here. A very interesting and rare tool. A must have in ancient times. Probably the best technology of the day was the pump drill.
Congrats on your find!
Agreed! Those people certainly had some skills to survive in this environment.

Well, it's official. I am looking at land near Reno, Nevada to put a tiny arrowhead shack on. How much for 35 or 50 acres or so? Is there anything for sale next to you my ol' pal?

Is there an average depth for local wells?
Funny thing, wells tend to be pretty shallow in northern Nevada and there are springs all over the place. It's a strange desert!

Thanks! Yeah, I forgot to put something in the pic for reference. It's about 2 1/2" in diameter.
Thanks oldmx, I'm sure they vary a bit in sizes from 1 to the next. I was just curious, cause I got around 8 camp sites my buddy & I hunt. It's all crop lands now, wish the farmers still plowed/disc their fields.

Oldmxrat Thanks for posting pictures :) I myself have never hunted artifacts, I think your round thing with a holr in ther center is amazing :) How long did you hunt and how far did you have to walk ?

Congrats on the pump-drill flywheel, certainly a recovery for the showcase.
Hope the Mrs has given you a little pat on the back, for your great hunt.

Oldmxrat Thanks for posting pictures :) I myself have never hunted artifacts, I think your round thing with a holr in ther center is amazing :) How long did you hunt and how far did you have to walk ?
Thanks Gare, it was an all day hunt and I probably walked 6-7 miles. Nothing too strenuous.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back