Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to drive up to Reno for a few days to get the house in order for the summer stay. My buddy talked me into spending a day out looking for artifacts (much to the wife's dismay) and I'm sure glad he did!
We found some pretty nice points, but the biggie for me was the pump-drill flywheel! I've found many of these broken and even 85% complete, but never whole.
IMG_5114.jpeg

I could see it standing there from 20 feet away, just waiting to be saved!

Other finds included some shell beads, knives, Elko dart points, Early leaf, Humboldt and Rose Spring points, a mano, and a large grooved pestle.

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 8.19.43 AM.png

That was a nice change from metal detecting and glad to get out there before things get too hot here.

I added an image of a pump-drill in case anybody was unaware of them.

That last pic is a coyote skeleton.

Attachments

• IMG_5125.jpeg
    IMG_5125.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5126.jpeg
    IMG_5126.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 126
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 8.09.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 8.09.52 AM.png
    229.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5103.jpeg
    IMG_5103.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5104.jpeg
    IMG_5104.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5116.jpeg
    IMG_5116.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5117.jpeg
    IMG_5117.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5120.jpeg
    IMG_5120.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Upvote 36
Well, it's official. I am looking at land near Reno, Nevada to put a tiny arrowhead shack on. How much for 35 or 50 acres or so? Is there anything for sale next to you my ol' pal?

Is there an average depth for local wells?
best of luck with that.... most of NV is BLM so off limits to purchase. What is available is often land that once was owned by some big outfit that used it for testing purposes (rockets etc.). As far as wells go, a lot of the available land has no water no matter how deep you go, while the next (identical looking) valley over has plenty. And then there is the concept of "use it or lose it" water rights. (but not so much for a double wide in the desert). That being said, NORTHERN NV has some of the best year round weather you can imagine. Hot but NOT AT ALL humid summers...and cold but CRISP winters. 100 degrees in that area is down right comfortable. You can find your 40 acres but you will need a good realtor to help...AND...you will have to share it with mustangs (obnoxious, big and dangerous) as well as worry all summer long about lightening strikes setting the range on fire and burning you out. NV is an odd mix of liberal and consevative values.... everybody owns guns but gambling and prostitution is legal (in areas). It is a very self reliant state...you-do-you type of attitude.

I love the place, great rock hounding and artifact hunting... But respect the reservation and BLM lands.

best of luck with that.... most of NV is BLM so off limits to purchase. What is available is often land that once was owned by some big outfit that used it for testing purposes (rockets etc.). As far as wells go, a lot of the available land has no water no matter how deep you go, while the next (identical looking) valley over has plenty. And then there is the concept of "use it or lose it" water rights. (but not so much for a double wide in the desert). That being said, NORTHERN NV has some of the best year round weather you can imagine. Hot but NOT AT ALL humid summers...and cold but CRISP winters. 100 degrees in that area is down right comfortable. You can find your 40 acres but you will need a good realtor to help...AND...you will have to share it with mustangs (obnoxious, big and dangerous) as well as worry all summer long about lightening strikes setting the range on fire and burning you out. NV is an odd mix of liberal and consevative values.... everybody owns guns but gambling and prostitution is legal (in areas). It is a very self reliant state...you-do-you type of attitude.

I love the place, great rock hounding and artifact hunting... But respect the reservation and BLM lands.
I appreciate the heads up and insider knowledge. I like and live all of that stuff. I can do off grid, sleep on the ground, gun shootin', rootin' tootin' ass kicking self sufficiency. I revere Mother Nature and respect the Constitution. I worked for years by myself in the mountains as a backcountry ranger. I can wander for many days and many miles in the big nothing and be in paradise. I have been around bears, mountain lions, and the most dangerous creature: the moose. The scariest part for me is working with a realtor. They are on my list along with attorneys and politicians of things to be avoided.

Those pictures of the obsidian points in the eroding soil have excited a tickle in my brain. Nevada is a promised land.

Thanks again for the insight. If I make it that way I will look you up and buy you a cold beer, or a sarsaparilla if you prefer!

I only ask as it looks like you were hunting one of those dry alkali lake beds from the pic.

Wish I spend more time looking in Nevada when I had that territory. Congrats on finding some really special artifacts. Looks like a dry lake bed your finding these items.
Yep, it's an old beach line along a small alkaline lake bed. It's not very obvious and not even easy to see on sat images. I discovered it 25 years ago while desert racing on my dirt bike.

Had to drive up to Reno for a few days to get the house in order for the summer stay. My buddy talked me into spending a day out looking for artifacts (much to the wife's dismay) and I'm sure glad he did!
We found some pretty nice points, but the biggie for me was the pump-drill flywheel! I've found many of these broken and even 85% complete, but never whole.
View attachment 2083378

Other finds included some shell beads, knives, Elko dart points, Early leaf, Humboldt and Rose Spring points, a mano, and a large grooved pestle.

View attachment 2083380

That was a nice change from metal detecting and glad to get out there before things get too hot here.

Outstanding! Congratulations

View attachment 2083378

View attachment 2083380

Awesome finds!

View attachment 2083378

View attachment 2083380

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back