Bronze scoop and tray thingy ???.

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
Someone posted a what is it question with a pic on a commercial fishing fb page, and they were not getting much help in figuring it out, so i figured i'd post it on here to see if anyone might know what it is .....

"Just by chance someone might know what this is. It was found in the Bilge of a sailboat in a tackle Box, Made of Bronze."

https://www.facebook.com/lmpeter/posts/10204727666419118

https://www.facebook.com/lmpeter/po...9023&set=pcb.10204727666419118&type=1&theater

(Hopefully the pic posts, i don't see any indication that it actually uploaded).

Attachments

• a what is it.jpg
    a what is it.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 130
This is just a guess, but i am thinking that it could be an old gunners / cannon tool. A powder measuring scoop, with a sieve and catch tray to break up the powder grains finer for the touch hole. (bronze = non-sparking). ???

Upvote 0
No one ever seperated powder grains at the cannon - or on the battlefield.

For reference - cannon and mortar powder in the CW was 1.0 to 2.2mm in size (would fit through a screen of that width).

More ikely a seed or pill counter/seperator.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As i said, mine was just a wild guess, but .... Who said that it would have been at the cannon ?. on board old wooden ships the power magazine, or storage and prep area was down low in the hold, near the bilge. At sea many times despie their best efforts the powder kegs did absorb some moisture, due to the effects of humidity, condensation, settling, and bilge moisture, the powder kegs often became caked to the point that it had to be dried, cut, broken up, crushed, reground, and resifted in order to be usable.

Attachments

• a what is it 3, gun powder magazine_section.jpg
    a what is it 3, gun powder magazine_section.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 0
Could it possibly be from another machine so to speak,A part of another peice of equipment? Or doe's it lay flush to the "ground"..The back(?) peice is in air,Is there anyway that could attach to something else as the scoop doe's??? Just some thought for now! HAPPY HUNTING ALL!!!

Upvote 0
OK. I'm a sailor. Lets back up and approach this from another tack.

So lets look at what we have. Found in a sailboat. Bronze/brass. "Scoop" has knurling on the lip and locks into place on a tab. Scoop is about thumb sized(?). Fits over a "screen" of holes, evenly spaced of similar size.

Lime juicer? Garlic press? Punch guide for sail repair? Hardtack maker (5 x 5 even holes of that size???)
5899588_1_l.jpg

Upvote 0
I wonder if that "thumb" piece doesn't possibly go on another way, say 180 degrees, left to right or top to bottom. For some reason, if the thumb piece is moved, I can see it being used to hold a candle and being somewhat windproof, like a Zippo lighter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK. I'm a sailor. Lets back up and approach this from another tack.

So lets look at what we have. Found in a sailboat. Bronze/brass. "Scoop" has knurling on the lip and locks into place on a tab. Scoop is about thumb sized(?). Fits over a "screen" of holes, evenly spaced of similar size.

Lime juicer? Garlic press? Punch guide for sail repair? Hardtack maker (5 x 5 even holes of that size???)
View attachment 1084189
I too am a Sailor...U.S.N.(75-80) on a Battleship.1st.Div. and i have never seen anything like that but then again i have never been on a sail-boat ,But as we all know ALL input is wecome&very helpful...I will have to ask a few friend's who own sail-boats if they have seen anything like this.HAPPY HUNTING ALL!!!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
I wonder if that "thumb" piece doesn't possibly go on another way, say 180 degrees, left to right or top to bottom. For some reason, if the thumb piece is moved, I can see it being used to hold a candle and being somewhat windproof, like a Zippo lighter.

That brings the question: do the perforated part or trays slide or hinge? That could be the original pre - Esbit or Sterno stove with a pellet, scoop of jelly or cottonball soaked in alcohol.

Could be something like a starter wick for a cabin heater/coal stove on a small boat? The scoop measures some kerosene and then is flipped over to be the handle to slide it under the stove grate?

SkinnerHalibut.jpg

This is a good one! It's obviously well made and for some purpose.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back