British Big Penny Cache Surprise

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Part of the Allure of our Hobby is trying to unravel the mysteries of our finds. There is a story in every find and Im sure this one is quite a Tale. It started over the weekend in Nearby Martinsburg W Va when I had the opportunity to hunt around a circa 1920s house about to be bulldozed. Found a few odds and ends, some modern change, one lonely old wheat cent when WHAM! my Nokta sounded a massive hit. Half expecting another flattened coke can I dug down a few inches and was quite surprised to find what I thought to be an Early US Large Cent, rechecking the hole my machine still chirped up with another hit, yet another "Large Cent" found I presumed. I repeated this process until I had a total of what I thought were Five dirt encrusted "Large Cents" all within about a six inch radius all about 3 to 4 inches deep. Later I soaked the coins in water and just a smidgen of Apple Cider Vinegar. I was quite surprised to discover that they were British Big Pennys dated from 1913, 1921, 1936 and two from 1967. I began to speculate as to how such a range of dated British Pennys ended up in the yard of an old house in The West Va Panhandle it almost looks like they were deliberately placed in cicle, or perhaps dropped, OR..... (?) anyway thanks for looking a good luck "diggin' " 8-)

Attachments

• Gbpenn.jpg
    Gbpenn.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Gbpenndates.jpg
    Gbpenndates.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 12
Part of the Allure of our Hobby is trying to unravel the mysteries of our finds. There is a story in every find and Im sure this one is quite a Tale. It started over the weekend in Nearby Martinsburg W Va when I had the opportunity to hunt around a circa 1920s house about to be bulldozed. Found a few odds and ends, some modern change, one lonely old wheat cent when WHAM! my Nokta sounded a massive hit. Half expecting another flattened coke can I dug down a few inches and was quite surprised to find what I thought to be an Early US Large Cent, rechecking the hole my machine still chirped up with another hit, yet another "Large Cent" found I presumed. I repeated this process until I had a total of what I thought were Five dirt encrusted "Large Cents" all within about a six inch radius all about 3 to 4 inches deep. Later I soaked the coins in water and just a smidgen of Apple Cider Vinegar. I was quite surprised to discover that they were British Big Pennys dated from 1913, 1921, 1936 and two from 1967. I began to speculate as to how such a range of dated British Pennys ended up in the yard of an old house in The West Va Panhandle it almost looks like they were deliberately placed in cicle, or perhaps dropped, OR..... (?) anyway thanks for looking a good luck "diggin' " 8-)
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back