brass thing

yorky

Jul 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PC280022.JPGCould anyone tell me what this could be please? Found in Scotland on pasture landPC280018.JPGPC280018.JPG

Upvote 0
That would only assume that the straps would remain in perfect alignment.

Upvote 0
It looks to me like the horn would get in the way of free strap/rein passage. Personally, I don't think it is harness or horse related.
That wouldn't surprise me if it isn't harness related. I'm not at all sure of what this is???.... I wouldn't bet allot on my hunch. Just seems to me a fair amount of brass fixtures can be found on an old fancy harness.

Upvote 0
One of the main reason I think horse is because of the combination of metals & rollers which are seen on many items. I can't think of one case where it is used elsewhere, maybe someone can?

Upvote 0
I was thinking of the relevance of the ornament being a hunting style horn and went in a different direction... what about it being part of a lighting fixture? -admittedly it would be odd for it to turn up in a field, but we've seen odder things. For consideration: antique chandelier with hunting horns - Google Search

Further thinking, maybe a double wall lamp rather than chandelier. But it seems to me that the steel tubes would rust and become ineffective pretty quickly if it were intended to have an outdoor application... And the tubes have crude seams, so surely they weren't meant to move around a whole lot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Found these pictures on line yesterday they are rein guides.NMmnt (1).jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks Yorky! The only thing I can say about this item is if I had to make a bet on where it was used? I'd say it's a part of a harness. My hunch it is it's part of a quick hitch used in early harness racing. Maybe the field you found it in was used as a race track in the past?

So your also called 'Grant'. How cool!... My Mom gave me that name as she was a great admirer of paintings by the artist Grant Wood. I think she hoped I'd be an artist? She was a teacher and always exposed me to museums and such. I'm not an artist, but do hunt for things of value. So all that exposer to the art, history & antiquities has paid off very well for me in some cases. The path I took in life was more inspired by her older 1/2 brother who was a drifter and hobo during the great depression. His stories absolutely captivated my young imagination. What I picked up from him has been worth it's weight in gold to me.

I have been to see my dad today who is also called Grant I am named after him apparantly my Grandmother was a big fan of Carrie Grant the film star

Upvote 0
I have been to see my dad today who is also called Grant I am named after him apparantly my Grandmother was a big fan of Carrie Grant the film star
Well is sure looks like you found an old image of this horn in question. Yep not many Grants around. When I was a hardrock miner in the 1970s we all had nick names given to each other. The one given to me was President "Useless S Grant.:tongue3:

Upvote 0
Thanks Grant for all your help and a happy new year to you and your family:notworthy:

Upvote 0
Thanks Grant for all your help and a happy new year to you and your family:notworthy:
Well yorky Grant, I can't see I was to much help, but Thank you! and you and your family also have a Happy New Year!

Upvote 0
I've been looking at this thing over and over again, and have come to the conclusion that it must be some sort of belt hanger. It is only logical that the thing would have to have opposing pressure on it, and would have to be situated in the position shown. What the purpose of the screw on loop is for remains a mystery, but the hook at the bottom has an obvious function.

Attachments

• brass item_edited-1.jpg
    brass item_edited-1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0
I've been looking at this thing over and over again, and have come to the conclusion that it must be some sort of belt hanger. It is only logical that the thing would have to have opposing pressure on it, and would have to be situated in the position shown. What the purpose of the screw on loop is for remains a mystery, but the hook at the bottom has an obvious function.

Thats exactly as I visualised it.

Upvote 0
could it be half of a bridle bit$T2eC16dHJGkE9no8iPGzBRWQFoE46Q~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back