✅ SOLVED Brass Point of Mystery

DJDirt208

Jul 26, 2024
Found this interesting hollow brass pointed object in a 1860s through 1890s site. Reading that is legible reads Germany, Kosmos and Dep.... Landowners last name was Kauffman and were German immigrants if that helps in any way. The object looks familiar but for the life of me I cannot place it. Any help identifying this object would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20240721_134201.jpg
    20240721_134201.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 49
  • point back.jpg
    point back.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 27
Solution
Welcome to Tnet.

It’s a burner part from an oil lamp.

The Kosmos burner was first patented in the UK in 1865 by Wild & Wessel of Berlin. In 1875 they began using the trade mark 'Kosmos' on winder knobs. Then in 1899, the rights were acquired by Brokelman, Jager & Co. who changed it to 'Kosmos Brenner', (literally 'Kosmos burner'). Manufacturing continued through to the 1970s when the factory closed.
Welcome to Tnet.

The Kosmos burner was first patented in the UK in 1865 by Wild & Wessel of Berlin. In 1875 they began using the trade mark 'Kosmos' on winder knobs. Then in 1899, the rights were acquired by Brokelman, Jager & Co. who changed it to 'Kosmos Brenner', (literally 'Kosmos burner'). Manufacturing continued through to the 1970s when the factory closed.

Upvote 2
Solution
Welcome to Tnet.

Red-Coat, I greatly appreciate the quick ID. Thanks for taking the time to help me out!

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back