Tango Kilo

Jul 1, 2013
Summerfield, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This one has me stumped. I was digging at a private residence in Stevensburg, Virginia this past Thursday and this is one of several items I recovered. This item is very thin brass in the oval configuration. I am surprised I did not destroy it with the trowel. As seen in the photos there is a small "catch" or "latch" on the end. A pin seemed to have been in the mechanism. What is the more neat thing is the name
"McVeigh" that can be read on this item. Hard to make out the first name as I have only rubbed this gently with a dry toothbrush. This was in the junk side of my bag until I noticed that it was engraved with a name. And when do you ever dig something with a name on it? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0945.JPG
    IMG_0945.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0946.JPG
    IMG_0946.JPG
    382 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0947.JPG
    IMG_0947.JPG
    825.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0948.JPG
    IMG_0948.JPG
    857.3 KB · Views: 67
It looks like something that was around wood to strengthen it like the shaft tips of a buggy.

Upvote 0
I found something like that once. I am certain the one I found was used to protect the end of a furniture leg .Bruce might have a good suggestion .If you can figure out the name it would likely lead to an answer to how it was used .Sorry early morning no coffee yet I went back and see that you have figured out the name

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies. First, let me address a couple of things with reference to your opinions. The house I was digging at was supposedly used as a field hospital during the CW according to the locals. That more than likely has nothing to do with the item. I found a couple of early to mid 1800's flat buttons, harmonica reeds and an eagle sword belt buckle. That sort of quantifies the time frame. The brass is very thin and was filled with soil and that kept it from collapsing. It is very fragile It retains it's oval shape and has not been squashed. It does not taper in its length of 2 3/4" inches. The dent in the left end was more than likely from my trowel. I am curious of the latch mechanism that can be seen clearly on the right end of the piece. As far as the name, You can clearly see "McVeigh". I can not make out the first name. It may be a name, a rank?, a professional ID, etc. Don't know. There were McVeighs in the area, a McVeigh house that was supposedly destroyed in the war and McVeighs in the war. I should just put the piece in the case and be happy with the find. Sometimes things have a way of identifying themselves later on. It is not terribly important to make an ID immediately. This must have been a personal item to have be engraved with their name. I have been very careful not to destroy the inscription with excessive rubbing. And how cool is it to find something with a name on it? I agree it was over or a sleeve on something. I feel it is an odd piece, not odd in what it may turn out to be but odd in the ID process with so little to go on. I don't post here a lot, if ever, unless I can not identify my finds with online or "histerical" research. This one however, does "tickle" my curiosity. Thanks again for the interest. BTW, I need a keeper for my new buckle find. Anybody got one they want to get rid of? Good day all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
LOOKS LIKE / REMINDS ME of... piece from French Naval cutlass scabbard.

11-m1833-french-cutlass-scabbard.jpg

Upvote 0
NOTE - I was not at or on McVeigh property past or present. I was just using that as the historical reference for the area.

Thanks all,
TK

Upvote 0
Wow. That looks close doesn't it? I was not wanting to jinx the ID with thinking it was something that is wasn't, but this is close. I may need to go back and see if i can find the rest. Thanks much.

TK

Upvote 0
I just don’t remember seeing the latch on the scabbard throat, it’s normally on the sword and just a notch in the scabbard throat.

Upvote 0

Agree. It's the correct size and shape for a vesta or match safe. Obviously missing the top and bottom...

I washed the image through Photo Shop to try to bring out the first name. Possibly Will'm - which was an abbreviation used in the 19th C. I can't decide if there is a middle initial or just some decorative scroll work between the names.

vesta.jpg

Upvote 0
How about Will'm H. McVeigh? Born 1874 and living in Stevensburg in 1900.

stevensburg.JPG

Upvote 0
Hello all. I want to thank everyone that replied to my posting. I will accept the idea (fact) that it is a match (Ivesta) box. I think that is as nice a find as one could expect digging around an old backyard. I did find an Eagle sword belt buckle as mentioned earlier. Good days hunting. Wish the ends were on it but then again, I can go back and see if they are find able. Having an identifiable name on an item is a special find for me. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Hello all. I want to thank everyone that replied to my posting. I will accept the idea (fact) that it is a match (Ivesta) box. I think that is as nice a find as one could expect digging around an old backyard. I did find an Eagle sword belt buckle as mentioned earlier. Good days hunting. Wish the ends were on it but then again, I can go back and see if they are find able. Having an identifiable name on an item is a special find for me. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
I would not bet on either.... the item being a "match safe" OR the name.

IMO.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back