Tango Kilo

Jul 1, 2013
Summerfield, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This one has me stumped. I was digging at a private residence in Stevensburg, Virginia this past Thursday and this is one of several items I recovered. This item is very thin brass in the oval configuration. I am surprised I did not destroy it with the trowel. As seen in the photos there is a small "catch" or "latch" on the end. A pin seemed to have been in the mechanism. What is the more neat thing is the name
"McVeigh" that can be read on this item. Hard to make out the first name as I have only rubbed this gently with a dry toothbrush. This was in the junk side of my bag until I noticed that it was engraved with a name. And when do you ever dig something with a name on it? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0945.JPG
    IMG_0945.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0946.JPG
    IMG_0946.JPG
    382 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0947.JPG
    IMG_0947.JPG
    825.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0948.JPG
    IMG_0948.JPG
    857.3 KB · Views: 67
s-l1600.jpg

Antique-Match-Safe-Holder-Victorian-Woman-Advertising-Chichgo-_57.jpg

It's the right size. It's the right shape. It has correctly placed holes for the lid hinge. It still has the 'stay' to keep the lid open/closed. It was a common item carried (and lost) back in the day... If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

I can say with a high degree of surety that it is a vesta or match safe.

The name? That's just a guess. It's a moderately educated guess, but still a guess.

BTW - W. H. McVeigh's father was Harvey McVeigh of the 4th Virginia cavalry Company D. Mrs. Harvey McVeigh was a superintendent at the Shiloh Baptist church @ 1912.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back