Brass Buckle

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the Union camp I'm hunting I found this small brass buckle (about the size of a quarter). I've never dug one that is shaped like this. Any ideas about it's use? buckle.JPG

Looks like a horse-harness buckle, used to join several adjustable-length straps. You can see some examples in the photos below. At "about the size of a quarter" I'd say yours is from a halter/headstall (a version of bridle, shown at the extreme left in the first photo, a US Army Model-1904 headstall). A larger version is found on saddlery straps. Saddlery: the second photo shows a fully-rigged a US Army Model-1904 McClellan saddle... look at about 7:00 just below the "Great Seal" eagle rosette.

Click once on the photo, then a second time to super-enlarge it for better details. You might recognize some of the other buckles, and now you'll know they are from horsegear/horseharness/saddlery, also called "horse tack."

Attachments

• horsegear_POSTWAR_halter-headstall_US1904model_made-by-RockIslandArseal_dated1915_IM001753.jpg
    horsegear_POSTWAR_halter-headstall_US1904model_made-by-RockIslandArseal_dated1915_IM001753.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 40
  • horsegear_POSTWAR_saddle_M1904McClellan_IM001752.jpg
    horsegear_POSTWAR_saddle_M1904McClellan_IM001752.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back