bottle dump from 1940s-60s...worth my time????? pics, help please

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
bottle dump from 1940's-60's...worth my time????? pics, help please

hi everyone, awhile back i found a spot with tons of bottles, i have determined the spot to be late 40's to 60's, i have found a few interesting bottles, but am not sure if it is (worth) my time. nothing super old yet. here are a few pics of my "keepers", a 10oz coke bottle i have never seen before, a mini coke bottle, a plains dairy bottle, a small londons dry gin bottle, a small battery oil bottle, a missions beverage bottle, and a segram & sons brown bottle and has a federal law prohibits.....the bottom says made in usa and has canada right under that.
like i was saying i enjoy searching, but besides enjoying it, am i wasting my time here?????
honest opinions and facts please........
thanks much!!!
Brandon

Attachments

• DSCF4225.JPG
    DSCF4225.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 2,093
  • DSCF4226.JPG
    DSCF4226.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 2,137
  • DSCF4230.JPG
    DSCF4230.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 2,063
  • DSCF4231.JPG
    DSCF4231.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 2,021
  • DSCF4236.JPG
    DSCF4236.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 2,050
Re: bottle dump from 1940's-60's...worth my time????? pics, help please

Those are some really nice bottles you found. That Coke bottle is called a diamond coke, for the obvious reason. While not rare, they are collectible, and can fetch a $10-$20 on eBay. The rest are nice, but probably only have value to local collectors. The ACL (painted label) bottles are beginning to catch on with collectors, and may carry some value in the years to come. Other than that, if you ENJOY doing it, than dig away! Good luck!

Sometimes bottles from the 40's or 50's are worth more, than your older versions, because the glass is more attractive, or most bottles of that age were broken and buried deep in a tip, and unaccessible. Some of your sodas will fetch around $10-$20 or more. Perfumes can fetch around $5.00 to $30.00. So yes, if you don't mind collecting bottles from that time period, there are some lovely bottles around. :)

Look for unusual bottles perfumes in colors,speas u-save it jars(big bucks),iron toys,soft drink bottles(especially with embossed images like baseball players,early cokes (1915 & 1923),apple cider bottles.A lot of the junk that was thrown away in 1940 was stuff that people collected over the years.Remember that people who had faught in the civil war where dying off in that time period or just before.Old folks would die and relatives would come in and take the valuables and send the rest to the dump.Happy digging,you never know whats in a dump.I was digging in a 40's dump and found an 1880's cast iron frog door stop with advertising for Jackson wagon co,Jackson,Michigan.

Ive got a few bottle dump's that I dig at from time to time,it's not really my thing but It kinda break's thing's up a bit.There's more than just glass at these site's...You just never know..Dig away dude....

Any Idea with these bottles?

Attachments

• Warranted flask..JPG
    Warranted flask..JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 2,697
  • Medicine and colletors bottle.JPG
    Medicine and colletors bottle.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 2,083

dunno, a flask bottom right???

Definately worth your time! It is fun, and someday they will be really old! Dig them while you still can!

lol, this was like 4 years ago, i have since got out of the bottle bug..... i now have boxes and boxes of 1800's glass i have dug and purchased. They are just sitting in storage...... its funny cause first it started out as finding a ols soda, then wanting older and older. well if anyone is in the alamogordo new mexico area, i will be more than happy to show you the dump, did find some sterling jewlery and a 1919 buff nickel :)

I will be in alamagordo, nm in a few weeks... any chance you can put up google map location?

if u wanna call me i can give directions on phone, send me ur #

sorry, haven't had much free time, im leaving sunday morning.. I probably wont have time to check it out... I've also been doing a little research for the infamous Atari dump located here somewhere, I believe it may be behind walmart on white sands blvd.. my transportation is very very limited, so I really can't go anywhere.. theres a good chance I won't be able to check it out.. Have you ever heard of the Atari dump? (well, the dump which atari used)

ya, but that was at the dump in dog canyon, 15 miles s of alamo. it has been shut for years now, fenced off and capped off and everything.

Chong, I just got back to Texas yesterday with a load of bottles from N. NM.
That shoe polish bottle to the right of Misssion Beverage ~ found a couple and
asked the resident if it was an ink bottle, he laughed and told me it was shoe
polish. He lives next to two huge dumps. I found a nice Sprite green with the
bumps that says Shenandoah National Park on the botttom. Too many to list.

Yes!,remember the first time you were out there and how much fun it was,every time I go back to the one by my house I feel like it is the first time I found it and nobdy else knows about it.

I found out that no one can buy the land where two huge dumps are because
of the environmental hazards found in some bottles. There's pretty old ones
near the surface but the really old 1700 era bottles are too deep for seniors to
get to. Sante Fe is like the oldest town in America.

last leg, is that shoe polish? lol i thought it was alot of ink........... sante fe is pretty old, i bet there are a few pontil green glass bottles left out there to be found. i actually just found later 1800's the other day and gave to a friend. geeze the bottle bug was sooooo addicting.............. i wanna find a flint bottle :D

Recovering Relics said:
Definately worth your time! It is fun, and someday they will be really old! Dig them while you still can!
definitely :icon_thumright:

Look for marbles..

1940s means you should find Akro Agate marbles,broken pieces of Akro Agate
glassware and other interesting goodies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back