Blade ect core

pghDFXer

Dec 21, 2011
PGH
Detector(s) used
Dfx 300 w/5.3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegFound this the other day, has that "Paleo Sheen" handled shine to it , its not wet in pics. Found quite a few peices in area that look as if theres 100's-1,000's of years between some of the knapp impacts, as in found, knapped,lost, found years & years later then knapped again. This (Clovis)
:icon_scratch::laughing7: core shows those signs too, but what would I know, i wasn't there!... View attachment 1654511unfortunatly.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    677.6 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 0
Paleo Sheen? Who's that?
Clovis core? What?
Those are just rocks.

I don't see any sign that has had any knapping done to it. Without identifiable Clovis debitage near it, there's no way you can hang a "Clovis" tag on it. Nice rock though. Sell it to a knapper. Gary

That is a big chunk of beautiful material that prehistoric people in my neck of the woods would have loved to have used. If it was found on a known site, or if that material is not commonly found in that form in your area, then I would have no problem believing it could have been intended to be used as a core for prehistoric tool making. We probably won't be able to see the differences in patina that you can see while holding it in person, and it doesn't appear to have had typical flakes removed from it to be an expended core. What can you tell us about the situation in which it was found?

You can always tell when school is out on break. Nice rock

Beautiful material. Looks like it would've been tough to work with, though.

Great looking material.

Doesn’t look like something that would easily come apart.

I would have picked it up.

The sheen is the same glint you see in a worked stone

Faking age sheen (whether "desert patina" or otherwise) is job one for fakers -- and honest modern knappers who just want to make their productions look properly old. Auto body wax, linseed oil, tumbling in sand -- everything under the sun's been tried.

If it's not impermissible to cite a commercial source, go through Jon Dickinson's "Prehistoric Artifacts" site and note the effect of age on authentically old flint. It's a good free education.

FWIW

View attachment 1655212View attachment 1655213Thanks all, ya the Clovis bomb, was a joimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegke really, but i do have a feeling about this site , i had it registered with the state in museum in harrisburg, after long emails ,pics ect. back and fourth with Dr.Kurt Carr the top dog at the museum, and a few other arkis , led me to bring all my finds from site to Meadowcroft rock shelter when theyre all there, except... Kurt! anyway.. its a bring your finds weekend, needless to say the jaws were dropping when they seen the 8ft bed of my truck FULL! especially when they saw the 100pounder lol . My actuall site is maybe 25x25 yrds, few pics from it

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 59
Nice point and scrapers but don’t think anything shown could be considered Paleo era you find any points with basal grinding or a fluted side ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back