Big Rock Tiny point

Mojavehunter

Jun 7, 2024
Couple finds today while out playing. I had found this large rock that I think is obsidian than took a few steps and found this tiny little point. Made for a great day! Big.jpgBig2.jpgBambino Insitu.jpgBambino.jpg

Upvote 12
Maybe I’m way off base but, thinking about the way obsidian is formed finding a blob seems unlikely but flint does come in nodules. But what do I know i don’t have obsidian anywhere near here. Anyway funny the point was right there too, maybe someone found that stone and worked out a couple points and moved on.

The rock does look like obsidian and from what I can see the fracture lines look right. Kind of hard to tell though. You may want to do a Mohs hardness test on it. Obsidian will test around 5.5
How big is the rock?

The rock does look like obsidian and from what I can see the fracture lines look right. Kind of hard to tell though. You may want to do a Mohs hardness test on it. Obsidian will test around 5.5
How big is the rock?
Thank you, the rock was about the size if a soccer ball

Maybe I’m way off base but, thinking about the way obsidian is formed finding a blob seems unlikely but flint does come in nodules. But what do I know i don’t have obsidian anywhere near here. Anyway funny the point was right there too, maybe someone found that stone and worked out a couple points and moved on.
When you go to the obsidian fields here in Oregon they are mostly round and dull in there raw form. when you break them they give you that nice shiny classic obsidian look. I wasn't sure on this one because it looked so dull.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back