Big Chief Bottle

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.

Attachments

• 1 big chief bottle 1958.jpg
    1 big chief bottle 1958.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 1,626
Those somewhat common embossed Big Chief's usually go for about $20.00 if in great shape. Less if they are scratched or have case wear. Of course a collector from Clinton, Missouri might pay more. I mostly collect the painted label ones. (See below). The most valuable of which is the one with the yellow label from Ely, Nevada, and is worth about $80.00.

SBB

Attachments

• Big Chief Collage Bottles Only.jpg
    Big Chief Collage Bottles Only.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 2,551
  • Coca Cola Big Chief - Clinton, MO. - DemonWolfe T-N (2) (324x700).jpg
    Coca Cola Big Chief - Clinton, MO. - DemonWolfe T-N (2) (324x700).jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,127
Creeper ~

I didn't even notice the chip until now. I was basing my estimation on it's overall appearence. If I saw one like it in an antique shop (no shipping) I would probably snag it for $5.00. But I wouldn't pay $10.00.

Hey, DemonWolfe ... What else ya got stashed away? :headbang:

SBB

heres one, not sure what it is. has a eagle embossed on it and on the bottom it says 1898, i hope the pictures look good on here, bought a new camera and havent gott it figured out yet.

Attachments

• 100_0055.jpg
    100_0055.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 591
  • 100_0057.jpg
    100_0057.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 595
  • 100_0058.jpg
    100_0058.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 524
DemonWolfe ~

I'd like to suggest when you download the pictures from your camera to your photo gallery that you resize them to about 650 or 700. There will be a feature somewhere in your photo gallery "file" for doing this. It will make the pictures much eisier for viewing. As it is now we have to resize them on our end to make them out clearly. If you have any problems or questions on exactly how to do it, please feel free to ask. Just let us know what type of photo editing you use. But most editing and rezizing features should be listed under "file."

Regarding the bottle, I suspect the numbers on the bottom are not the date it was made, but instead are either a factory mold number or possibly even an original patent date. The reason I say this is primarily because of the "stipling" I see around the base. Stipling are those little dots embossed in the glass around the outer edge of the base. Bottle makers did not start doing that until well into the 20th century. I'd would have to look it up to be sure of the exact dates when this feature was first introduced, but I believe it was either the late 1920s or early 1930s. Stipling dots were invented to help keep the molten glass hot longer so it would cool slower. The principal was to slightly lift the freshly molded bottle off of the metal plate or conveyer so air could circulate under it. Prior to this the bottle would come into full contact with the cold steel, which would cause it to cool almost immediately, and in many cases would cause the bottle to crack. They are still using stipling to this very day.

The bottle also appears to be machine made. Meaning 1905/06 or later. Check the mold seam on the side and see if it continues all the way up to the very top of the lip. If the seam goes all the way to the top, it is definitely machine made, as opposed to being hand blown in a mold which they stopped doing around 1906 thru about 1910.

Thats about it for now. More research will have to be done. Are there any other names - numbers or anything else anywhere on the bottle? It looks kind of short. How tall is it? And does the cap fit snuggly? It looks kind of odd.

My gut instinct is that it is some kind of comemoroative or reproduction bottle. A super clear focused picture of the base will tell us a lot.

Thanks. And I hope my suggestions, observations and questions make sense.

SBB

Thanks I realize the pictures r big but that is less than half of the original size already. I have to resize them just so they r under the 1 meg limit but I can start making them a lot smaller as far as other markings I don't see any but will try to clean the bottle up a little and look again

SODABOB'S QUOTE "My gut instinct is that it is some kind of comemoroative or reproduction bottle. A super clear focused picture of the base will tell us a lot."

That totally slipped my mind, I am going with Bob.. that is probly what it is.. so it isn't that great...lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back