Best reasonably priced detector?

H

help

I have a desperate question. A year ago, I lost a diamond earring (VERY sentimental) on the grounds where my aunt's house stands (who passed away a year and a half ago). My cousin has not paid the taxes on the house and despite my offer of help, he refuses to pay the taxes. No one has occupied the premises since she passed away. The property is to be auctioned off VERY SOON by the city. I have gone back periodically to search for my earring but I had twins just after I lost it and have not had much time to search. Now, after rains, etc. I imagine I will need a detector. But which should I buy? The earring is a gold post stud like this one:
B0000BY883.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The square footage of the property is about 4000 square feet. It could have also fallen while my cousin walked me through two old sheds located on the property.
Is there any special detector that will specifically find only gold and diamond? Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

Upvote 0
I would not recommend buying a detector from Wally World...

If you're set on buying one, get the ACE 250... you can buy it on ebay for $200 with free shipping, and right now they are selling for about $180-$190 used...
(don't ask me why anyone would pay that much for a used one when they could spend a few more dollars and get a new one with a warranty... not the sharpest knives in the drawer)

You'd never get that much back on an el-cheapo Wal-mart special...

I'm really sorry you feel that way. I don't understand why folks put down other brands of detectors, but I bought and paid for my Ace 250 with the clad I found with my Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 that I bought from WalMart. Yeah, okay, they don't know squat about their products, so you don't have anyone to fall back on for answers. That's part of the reason I started my own business selling detectors and such. But don't knock another brand based on price alone. It is not just the detector that finds the stuff in the ground, but a combination of the user AND the detector to find the good stuff. Anyone who doesn't take the time to learn their detector won't succeed, whether it be a $1200 Minelab or a $200 Bounty Hunter.

:) the only reason i didnt go for a w/m detector - was the garrett ace 250 was so much over the 'net with good reviews - it was uncanny - or i probably would have gotten one - on the 'net walmart.com - they have the more expensive bounty hunters included that aren't at the stores. however the feedback wasnt as good - one thing is w/m is a few minutes from anywhere and u could return it asap - with no hastle lickity split - if it werent to your liking.......research is key to purchasing anything and the net you can type bounty hunter sucks or whites det. sucks , garrett ace 250 sucks - you will find out real quick what people really think - :o if you google that u may be surprised what you see. :P LBP

beetle662 said:
I would not recommend buying a detector from Wally World...

If you're set on buying one, get the ACE 250... you can buy it on ebay for $200 with free shipping, and right now they are selling for about $180-$190 used...
(don't ask me why anyone would pay that much for a used one when they could spend a few more dollars and get a new one with a warranty... not the sharpest knives in the drawer)

You'd never get that much back on an el-cheapo Wal-mart special...

I'm really sorry you feel that way. I don't understand why folks put down other brands of detectors, but I bought and paid for my Ace 250 with the clad I found with my Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 that I bought from WalMart. Yeah, okay, they don't know squat about their products, so you don't have anyone to fall back on for answers. That's part of the reason I started my own business selling detectors and such. But don't knock another brand based on price alone. It is not just the detector that finds the stuff in the ground, but a combination of the user AND the detector to find the good stuff. Anyone who doesn't take the time to learn their detector won't succeed, whether it be a $1200 Minelab or a $200 Bounty Hunter.

I don't believe I mentioned a brand in my posts anyhere, but specifically mentioned Wally World...

If they do such a good job, then why bother with an ACE 250? ???

the ace 250 - so far for me was a great choice for a guy that gets out 3 hrs a week - i will upgrade next year - and will recheck again with the whites & garretts - may the best detector win - if garrett is smart (ace250 proves it) they will smell the upgrade market that is on the way ;) i also went on the reputation of the company while making my decision - hey 200.00 is 200.00 bucks - for me thats 1/4 away from buying a Left Handed Bass Guitar :P
LBP

I've seen the GTI-2500 Pro go on ebay for like $700 or so in a used like new condition, and brand new for $879... that's Garrett's top of the line model...

I have them both and the ACE 250 holds it's own when it comes to coin-shooting...

T-Rex said:
I've seen the GTI-2500 Pro go on ebay for like $700 or so in a used like new condition, and brand new for $879... that's Garrett's top of the line model...

I have them both and the ACE 250 holds it's own when it comes to coin-shooting...
I totaly agree with you,I also have both and found out that I often fall back on the ACE 250 for regular coinshooting due to it's simplicity and light weight.

Uh umm,back to the subject at hand.Dear help,please let us know what becomes of your search for the lost earring.good luck again :).

ARCOMANDPURPLE said:
T-Rex said:

I totaly agree with you,I also have both and found out that I often fall back on the ACE 250 for regular coinshooting due to it's simplicity and light weight.

For the $ ACE cannot be beat... there is nothing that can compare to it for that price!

I don't believe I mentioned a brand in my posts anyhere, but specifically mentioned Wally World...

If they do such a good job, then why bother with an ACE 250?

That's right... you didn't mention any name brand. But the only brand detector you can get at Wally World is the Bounty Hunter brand.

My only point is that if you know how to swing whatever brand detector you have, then you will be successful! Didn't mean to cause a ruckus at all!

And you are 100% correct... the ACE 250 cannot be beat in it's price range! Nothing that ANY manufacturer makes at that price even comes close. I hope the other manufacturers get back to the drawing board and realize that Garrett has literally stolen the market on folks just coming into the hobby, as well as those who buy a dependable back up machine. Personally, the ACE 250 is the one I grab when I head out the door, but I know what I have found with my BH and I am thrilled with it! It certainly kept my interest in the hobby and it is now my back up machine.

Like I said, I wasn't trying to start any problems, but they are certainly capable machines.

I notice you are right across the Licking from me.... we should hook up sometime!

Trex:

I believe he was refering to my post about getting a walmart detector... If you noticed I also said she could use it and return it, an option that is simply not there for an ace 250. I have 4 detectors, minelab, whites, bounty hunter, and garret. The ace250 is a coin huntin machine for sure, but the bounty hunter (being just as cheap most times) has a few options the ace doesnt including an extra GOLD NUGGET COIL. Which in this particular instance would be well suited for finding a tiny diamond stud. You could buy the ace for $200 then the extra small coil for $60 ($260) or the BH for betweeen $180-240 which was my point. Not to mention the ease of returning it for a refund of money...

BUTTTTTTTT
again her best bet is to get a few MD nuts out there and tell em as soon as they find the diamond they can dig whatever they want and take it home. WOW any MDer will be chompin at the bit for that chance. Dont forget to mention the age of the property, makes our mouths water! hehe good luck and hurry up and let some fellas out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back