Beginnings of a five gallon bucket winter garden

Thank you
Not sure where you’re plants are located, but leggy and etiolated (light green/white) is a sign of lack of sun. If they’re green, it’s not light they’re lacking. Plants are a lot like folks….without exercise they become weak. The strength of a stalk can be greatly increased with exercise (wind). Setting up a fan a distance away from the plants (think breeze, not hurricane) will cause the stalks/trunks to toughen up/thicken and not get as leggy. As someone else said…..drill holes in the bottom of the buckets, overwatering is death. Best of luck, share pics as they grow up.

Edit: breeze doesn’t have to be constant. Couple hours a day will suffice. Also, you want to start air soon after germination….once they’re 12” tall with no support, the wind can beat them to death.
thank you wolf!!! I moved them into more direct light today. I’m in south Louisiana where the temp still reached 82 degrees. I’ll definately keep you posted

I grow stuff year round in my garden here in Maryland.research the plaints that do good in your temps.Timming of planting fall and winter plants is key.A few weeks early and plant like broccoli and and lettuce will bolt.To late and the real cold weather will get to them before they mature. I dont spary any of my plants for bugs I know in my area if i plant potatoes bugs destroy them.they come for the potatoes but end up eating other plant so i just dont plant potatoes. Deer are a real problem here Years ago I put up a cheap electric fence and the problem is solved. Year after year they learn not to mess with it after getting shocked a few times.First few years i would leave the fence on all the time but they have learned and only turn it on now maybe a week out of each month.

Thank you

thank you wolf!!! I moved them into more direct light today. I’m in south Louisiana where the temp still reached 82 degrees. I’ll definately keep you posted
Lettuces like cooler temperatures actually.
If your daytime temperatures are high (+50s)
Put the buckets outside for natural light, and breeze.

It's called hardening them.
They'll do a lot better.
The Lettuces in the garden have endured temperatures as low as 24F this fall.
We just cover them with sheets.
The daytime times are still in the mid 50sF.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back