Beautiful Semi Key Indian And Flying Eagle!!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I finally got a chance to go to a new site, after spending the last two weeks just going to sites that I had basically hunted out in the past. What happened was that my computer had a problem, and since then it hasn't been able to run the program that I use to research new potential metal detecting sites. I still haven't fixed the problem (it just shows an error screen every time I try to open it), but had remembered that over the past couple years I have saved tons of sites onto Google Maps. I knew for certain that there are plenty of places I haven't been to yet.

Yesterday I decided I would go to a cellar that I found over a year ago, but then forgot to go to. When I got to the place, I walked down the trail until I reached a pretty big river. I saw a little sign next to the river, thanking the Boy Scouts of America for building a footbridge across it in 2013. Unfortunately, the bridge was at this point barely recognizable as a bridge, and I had to find somewhere else to cross. The cellar hole was supposed to be along an old abandoned road, so I wanted to cross the river close to the road. I found the road before crossing the river, and saw that at one point it had a huge stone (now collapsed) bridge that crossed the river, perhaps made from an early sawmill dam that was there before the road was even made. I saw some big rocks near it, probably from when that bridge collapsed many years ago. The water wasn't very deep there either, so I jumped along the rocks until I made it to the other side.

When I got to the cellar hole, the first thing I did was try to metal detect on the abandoned road in front of it, and found a couple buttons a musketball, and a shoebuckle fragment there. Next to the cellar hole itself I managed to search through all the iron, and find another button, and what looks like a brass boot heel, with a partially readable patent date of November 28th, 18xx on it. I left soon after, because there was the biggest amount of mosquitoes there that I had ever seen, and I figured I would have more fun tomorrow after getting bug spray.

Today I went back, and found what looks like an old brass furniture tack, along the road. In the woods behind the cellar hole I found another colonial shoe buckle fragment, what looks like a bell fragments, and part of a silver plated spoon. I went back to the road, and less than a foot away from where I found the tack, I dug a beautiful Indian Head Cent. It came out of the ground looking how it does in the photo, which was a nice surprise, as most of them come out the ground rather toasted. Going down the trail, right at the old bridge, I was lucky to dig my second flying eagle ever. It came out of the ground pretty rough, but after cleaning it a bit I was able to barely read a date of 1857. I then over cleaned it, as seen in the photo, and now it is barely identifiable :BangHead: The 1871 Indian was already great, and only needed to be rinsed off a bit. Apparently, 1871 is a semi key date, and if it hadn't been dug, in this condition it would probably would be worth hundreds of dollars.

Also, while driving home, I spotted an old barn foundation, saw a trail with parking, and metal detected there for around 10 minutes. I found a very damaged tag of some sort, that looks like it would have had writing on it, and what I'm guessing is a Victorian Sash Buckle. I looked down at my legs, and was horrified to see 20 ticks crawling on them, I quickly left after that.

So far this year has been going pretty well, better than last year, when until December, I had been on a two year streak of not finding any old coppers. So far this year I have found 8 Indians (1863, 1866, 1868, 1869, 1871, 1880, 1883, 1888), 2 coppers (1803 Draped Bust, dateless George II halfpenny), and an 1857 Flying Eagle. I hope it keeps up!

DSC_0028.JPGDSC_0032.JPGDSC_0045.JPGDSC_0003.JPGDSC_0007.JPGDSC_0012.JPGDSC_0013.JPG

Here are the coins I have found so far this year.
DSC_0035.JPG

Upvote 27
Beautiful IH cent and nice partial buckle! :icon_thumleft:

Nice job on the 1871 Indian. That is a semi key date. Great find.

Awesome finds I really enjoy finding an IHP and especially when it's a nice IHP! Great story to go with it, I really appreciate these stories that give a little glimpse of what the area is like. Thanks for sharing!

Congrats on the nice old IHP and FE! The FE has eluded my coil so far.

Very cool. Care to share info on that program you use to locate sites?? I promise not to poach in your area :laughing7:

Last edited:
That is one very pretty IHP:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back