Beautiful Seated, AND a bucket lister (edited -- an UGLY Seated on the next day's hunt)!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all.

I don't post here often, but today was a really good day. I continued my love/hate relationship with the Manticore, but today was definitely more "love," than hate!

I was able to get in about two hours at an old church site that I've hunted numerous times; in fact, I've dug a V-nickel, 5 Indian Heads, and a nice crotal bell with clapper intact, over the past couple of hunts there.

But, despite dozens of Indians, alog with several wheats and a couple of more modern silver coins from this site over the years, I've only managed 1800s silver just one time -- an 1888 Seated Dime several years back.

However, today was a special day at this site! I not only got into the 1800s silver again for only the second time at this site (a "centennail" coin -- 1876 Seated dime), I ALSO got into the 1700s, for the first time ever! I was able to locate a coin that has been on my bucket list for a long time -- a Spanish silver! It's a 1783 Carolus III 1/2 Reale (Mexico City mint). While it's not in the greatest condition, and while the reverse of the Seated dime has a scratch that mars an otherwise beautiful coin, this definitely ranks up there in terms of memorable hunts!

Thanks for looking!

Steve

7-23-23Finds-Obverse_small.jpg
7-23-23Finds-Reverse_small.jpg

H

Upvote 55
Spanish silver like you found was used in the early British colonies on the east coast, so we find them here occasionally. But I expect they were not common in Oklahoma among the settlers? Yours actually is in better shape than any I have found. Mine are all very well worn.
Almy -- you are correct; not common in Oklahoma (though I know of a few that have been found, including one friend who has dug three -- 1/2, 2, and 8). Most such old coins in Oklahoma are found on and around old U.S. Military fort sites.

Essentially, by the time Oklahoma was "settled" to any substantial degree (in the late 1800s when the land was opened for settlement, following the time that it had been designated "Indian Territory"), the days of foreign silver coinage being accepted as "legal tender" in the U.S., had long since passed.

BUT -- as you noted, it WAS used earlier and thus sometimes found "farther east," and the fact that this one that I found was in Pennsylvania, confirms that.

Thanks!

Steve

#1 Thanks for the super crisp photos! Wow!
#2 Awesome finds. Does that site date back to the 1700's?

Great hunt!
Thanks for the kind words!

Yes, the old church dates its history to around 1790, as does the cemetery that surrounds it.

Thanks!

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back