Beautiful Seated, AND a bucket lister (edited -- an UGLY Seated on the next day's hunt)!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all.

I don't post here often, but today was a really good day. I continued my love/hate relationship with the Manticore, but today was definitely more "love," than hate!

I was able to get in about two hours at an old church site that I've hunted numerous times; in fact, I've dug a V-nickel, 5 Indian Heads, and a nice crotal bell with clapper intact, over the past couple of hunts there.

But, despite dozens of Indians, alog with several wheats and a couple of more modern silver coins from this site over the years, I've only managed 1800s silver just one time -- an 1888 Seated Dime several years back.

However, today was a special day at this site! I not only got into the 1800s silver again for only the second time at this site (a "centennail" coin -- 1876 Seated dime), I ALSO got into the 1700s, for the first time ever! I was able to locate a coin that has been on my bucket list for a long time -- a Spanish silver! It's a 1783 Carolus III 1/2 Reale (Mexico City mint). While it's not in the greatest condition, and while the reverse of the Seated dime has a scratch that mars an otherwise beautiful coin, this definitely ranks up there in terms of memorable hunts!

Thanks for looking!

Steve

7-23-23Finds-Obverse_small.jpg
7-23-23Finds-Reverse_small.jpg

H

Upvote 55
Two silvers in one day is a good day.
Two silvers in one day from two different centuries is an awesome day.
Congrats!
Thanks Groundhogg! Can't argue -- it was quite a day!

Steve

OK -- just as a follow-up...after digging what was the nicest Seated coin I've ever dug (that 1876 dime), I followed it up the next day with the UGLIEST one I ever dug -- a wreck of an 1837 dime! I'm NOT complaining; I'm simply saying that along with the good fortune of digging one on consecutive days, it's funny that the first is my nicest, and the second is my nastiest! LOL!

(I also got a nice sterling Claddagh ring, an IHP, and a couple of wheats on yesterday's hunt...but the early Seated dime was the highlight).

Steve

7-24-23Finds_small.jpg

Great Saves on the old silver. You did well. Congrat's.
devldog -- thanks! Yep, hard to complain about only finding 3 silver coins on my trip, when those are the three that were recovered!

Steve

Fan DIME tastic doesn't really define this one. The nick on the back of the nice one has been on that coin for a very long time and was NOT caused by digging it up in any way, at all.
Grats on some great keepers and thanks for sharing.

Spanish silver like you found was used in the early British colonies on the east coast, so we find them here occasionally. But I expect they were not common in Oklahoma among the settlers? Yours actually is in better shape than any I have found. Mine are all very well worn.

#1 Thanks for the super crisp photos! Wow!
#2 Awesome finds. Does that site date back to the 1700's?

Great hunt!

Both are on my bucket list, congrats.

Fan DIME tastic doesn't really define this one. The nick on the back of the nice one has been on that coin for a very long time and was NOT caused by digging it up in any way, at all.
Grats on some great keepers and thanks for sharing.
THANK for the kind words, xr7ator!

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back