Beautiful Seated, AND a bucket lister (edited -- an UGLY Seated on the next day's hunt)!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all.

I don't post here often, but today was a really good day. I continued my love/hate relationship with the Manticore, but today was definitely more "love," than hate!

I was able to get in about two hours at an old church site that I've hunted numerous times; in fact, I've dug a V-nickel, 5 Indian Heads, and a nice crotal bell with clapper intact, over the past couple of hunts there.

But, despite dozens of Indians, alog with several wheats and a couple of more modern silver coins from this site over the years, I've only managed 1800s silver just one time -- an 1888 Seated Dime several years back.

However, today was a special day at this site! I not only got into the 1800s silver again for only the second time at this site (a "centennail" coin -- 1876 Seated dime), I ALSO got into the 1700s, for the first time ever! I was able to locate a coin that has been on my bucket list for a long time -- a Spanish silver! It's a 1783 Carolus III 1/2 Reale (Mexico City mint). While it's not in the greatest condition, and while the reverse of the Seated dime has a scratch that mars an otherwise beautiful coin, this definitely ranks up there in terms of memorable hunts!

Thanks for looking!

Steve

7-23-23Finds-Obverse_small.jpg
7-23-23Finds-Reverse_small.jpg

H

Upvote 55
Gorgeous dime! Congrats on both...nice finds!

PBS
PBS -- I love the screen name! That's EXACTLY what I was saying, when I was digging that one! The 1888 I dug at this site several years ago was about 30 yards from where I was digging this one, and at about the same depth...and that's exactly what I was saying -- "please be Seated!"

Thanks!

Steve

Hi all.

I don't post here often, but today was a really good day. I continued my love/hate relationship with the Manticore, but today was definitely more "love," than hate!

I was able to get in about two hours at an old church site that I've hunted numerous times; in fact, I've dug a V-nickel, 5 Indian Heads, and a nice crotal bell with clapper intact, over the past couple of hunts there.

But, despite dozens of Indians, alog with several wheats and a couple of more modern silver coins from this site over the years, I've only managed 1800s silver just one time -- an 1888 Seated Dime several years back.

However, today was a special day at this site! I not only got into the 1800s silver again for only the second time at this site (a "centennail" coin -- 1876 Seated dime), I ALSO got into the 1700s, for the first time ever! I was able to locate a coin that has been on my bucket list for a long time -- a Spanish silver! It's a 1783 Carolus III 1/2 Reale (Mexico City mint). While it's not in the greatest condition, and while the reverse of the Seated dime has a scratch that mars an otherwise beautiful coin, this definitely ranks up there in terms of memorable hunts!

Thanks for looking!

Steve

View attachment 2095314View attachment 2095315
H
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Well done.
IMO... your dime is a round about MS-61 coin... out of the ground this alone makes it a stellar coin.

I have to ask... do you think the mark on reverse was caused from dig ? ? ?

Hi all.

Thanks for looking!

Steve

View attachment 2095314View attachment 2095315
H
Congrats. Hope you many more!

Well done.
IMO... your dime is a round about MS-61 coin... out of the ground this alone makes it a stellar coin.

I have to ask... do you think the mark on reverse was caused from dig ? ? ?
ARC -- I just don't know. I dug a DEEP plug, but the coin was still in the bottom of the hole. I did NOT hit it when I went back into the hole and dug around the edges of the hole, to go deeper, but it's possible that as I was prying the dirt loose from the walls of the hole, I nicked it. BUT -- I didn't think the scratch looked new. Either way, I knew when I saw it, that the scratch killed any value the coin had.

TBH -- I was not as careful as I should have been. This site is loaded with square nails, and when they are down there at 8" to 10" deep, they can sound pretty good at times. I assumed this was another of those square nails masquerading as a coin, so I was not as careful as I would have otherwise been...

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back