Bad Day, Good Hunt: Five Coppers, Boarhead Button

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to drive to visit my parents today as my uncle passed away yesterday, and found the time before I headed home to stop with my wife at a wooded site that I thought might pop up a surprise or two. Did a quick sweep around and hit a musketball, then started walking on a trail my brothers and I had marked over a decade ago to get our ATVs through the woods to our duck blinds. I hit a solid signal and quickly dug 5 coins, the button, a blank pewter piece with attachment points and another musketball all in about a 20 foot square around a fallen tree. Coppers turned out in great condition, much better than I'm used to. Two 1861 Nova Scotia half cents, Ships Colonies and Commerce token, St John New Brunswick Halfpenny token, and a Robert Purvis Wallace, NS "Cheap Family Store" token. Not bad for a really quick hunt on a nice day - mid May and no bugs or leaves yet!
IMG_3001.JPG
IMG_3002.JPG
IMG_3003.JPG
IMG_3004.JPG
IMG_2983.JPG

Upvote 6
Hit the right token there and you might have the daily double of both rarity and condition.

Both IH and I have found one of those Robert Purvis tokens here.

If I'm gonna get coppers, I definitely prefer when they look like these ones! I was hoping the Purvis token was a rare one when I dug it, but a quick google search on the phone told me otherwise. This spot is about 30 seconds from where I park to walk into the cob site I found last year, so it looks like a good backup spot.

Nice! A lot of great finds for a quick hunt. Way to go!

Nice! A lot of great finds for a quick hunt. Way to go!
It was nice, I dug all the targets in just a few minutes and only a couple .22 casings mixed in! Quickest 5 coppers I've dug I think!

Great score! Yes if you're getting coppers then you want them to look like those! Very late spring, maybe the bugs will hold off for another month...I'd rather be digging then sitting on the beach...

Great score! Yes if you're getting coppers then you want them to look like those! Very late spring, maybe the bugs will hold off for another month...I'd rather be digging then sitting on the beach...
I won't complain if the mosquitoes and blackflies take a few months off haha!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back