awesome knife!

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never sound anything like this! The flaking and base is new to me, never found this style before! Definitely my favorite blade to date!

ForumRunner_20121217_140342.png

ForumRunner_20121217_140348.png

ForumRunner_20121217_140400.png

Upvote 0
yeah i like the multi tool idea best knife , scraper, spokeshave , bottle opener....

Looking at the blade some more it could be that the maker was trying to thin the base for hafting and took too much off and just notched one side as to not waste the blade for some sort of use. I could picture the maker striking the rock at the base causing half the rock to break and forming a nice hinge near the tip. That is how that hinge was formed, driving the rock from the base to the tip. Usually the base and tips are thinned first before the center is thinned. Of course no-one knows for sure but the maker and I am sure he didn't make the blade to look like that intentionally.

It is a very nice find.

Agree knife. They could not get that hump out of it or get a good bite of that material but they could grab it from the side and drive off the flat side making a good tool. I think you all are right about the notch being added too. I do think that the hump in this piece was why we see it as it is today. A cool artifact. But not a tang or even a waller just some ingenuity to use the material. Many times the stuff never even got this far. You might be able to type the notch and base. I do not know.

Looking at the blade some more it could be that the maker was trying to thin the base for hafting and took too much off and just notched one side as to not waste the blade for some sort of use. I could picture the maker striking the rock at the base causing half the rock to break and forming a nice hinge near the tip. That is how that hinge was formed, driving the rock from the base to the tip. Usually the base and tips are thinned first before the center is thinned. Of course no-one knows for sure but the maker and I am sure he didn't make the blade to look like that intentionally.

It is a very nice find.

I've looked at the blade some more and i am now further confused...what were we talking about again....? Anyway yes i see where it is possible this could have broke during manufacture, and it would have had to been from working that base but i still think that side was like that and worked the rest of pc to suit a need. :dontknow:

SOHIO, I think thats what I wrote/meant. My guess and its only a guess is for a point or blade to be given a name or style name it would have to be replicated and an intentional design. In this blades case I don't think it was made by design but the maker made use of the rock he had at hand. As bad as a flintknapper that I am and I am not very good, I couldn't make that blade,lol.

I hope everyone understands that this is a healthy discussion and in no way the find is being put down as I have a strong respect for every artifact that I have found.

birdpointgriswold posted his photo and said that he had never found a point like that before. My guess is no-one will asI don't think it was made by design but by mistake.

Last edited:
You guys keep it up I love reading and hearing everyone's opinions! Thanks for all the comments!

SOHIO, I think thats what I wrote/meant. My guess and its only a guess is for a point or blade to be given a name or style name it would have to be replicated and an intentional design. In this blades case I don't think it was made by design but the maker made use of the rock he had at hand. As bad as a flintknapper that I am and I am not very good, I couldn't make that blade,lol.

I hope everyone understands that this is a healthy discussion and in no way the find is being put down as I have a strong respect for every artifact that I have found.

birdpointgriswold posted his photo and said that he had never found a point like that before. My guess is no-one will asI don't think it was made by design but by mistake.

In summery of what I was saying which too was guessing is that I just didnt think it was broken on that one side in manufacture but your right it may well have been I wasn't so positive of it like it may have seemed from my posts. No offense was taken this has been a good healthy discussion and ive seen many discussions on here like this that lead to several folks putting their ideas together to figure out a pc and often times the pcs are finally agreed upon as to their type etc. I, in know way, know everything about flint , flintknapping, tool technology etc... none of us do and when we try to figure out a pc without folks getting offended by this that or the other then this site is serving its purpose. :icon_thumright:

Ok I will show you the one I have. The one in the middle is a Waller knife.

Attachments

• 100_1996.JPG
    100_1996.JPG
    509.5 KB · Views: 91
In my opinion, the rise on the "hump" as well as the leading left edge of this piece as shown in image two all but elimates any type of hafting. We should also examine and discuss the sole flake/hinge bottom left, is it possible that strike caused the large flat void? The ridge across the top in image one is quite pronouced as well. I see what I think are multiple attempts to reduce the ridge but the material wasn't giving in.

Regardless, it is one very unique artifact...a good study piece for all of us. Rare is it that we see something in this forum that seems to defy and stump at the same time.

Last edited:
It is written that the Waller knife is thought to of been worn around the neck on a string, hence the base groove. They used them to cut as needed when necessary. Also and of course we dont know but some thought they were used for decoration like a pendant.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back