awesome knife!

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never sound anything like this! The flaking and base is new to me, never found this style before! Definitely my favorite blade to date!

ForumRunner_20121217_140342.png

ForumRunner_20121217_140348.png

ForumRunner_20121217_140400.png

Upvote 0
If you want to add a photo to a post or a quote by edit. On the mobile app. You must enter at least three lettes or numbers...something..so I just hit three dots.

I think this is a knife that was worn around the neck. My spelling will be off, but a stearcy knife is what they were called. Nice find.

I think this is a knife that was worn around the neck. My spelling will be off, but a stearcy knife is what they were called. Nice find.

would have been easy to get to when you needed it. whatever it is its cool and its a knife

Its common when doing percussion that the flakes run to the ridge unless you know how to do an overshot to go to the other side of the blade ,the flaking will stop at the ridge which in this case runs down the middle of the blade. IMHO its a broken blade.

That's a cool one man.:headbang:I got one that reminds me of something like it but yours is way better condition............
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Attachments

• 001_1.JPG
    001_1.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 73
Its common when doing percussion that the flakes run to the ridge unless you know how to do an overshot to go to the other side of the blade ,the flaking will stop at the ridge which in this case runs down the middle of the blade. IMHO its a broken blade.

From what I understand notching was generally done after a pc was nearing completion or at least after a lot of reduction, this pc still had a lot of reduction to get to that point from here so why would they have notched it at this stage of production . I can see why someone might think its broke by the one view of it jon has posted but clearly that side of the pc was like it was when they started chipping on it. Like I said earlier on this thread they made use of a pc that didn't have much potential... probably because they didn't want to waste it and made whatever they could from it...whether or not they had the tang knife idea before they started knapping on it or it just ended up that way is the only debate I see to this pc. the highlighted area could not have been broke in production.

ForumRunner_20121217_140348tt.png

I know you might say that after they broke it they went ahead and notched it but look at the area surrounding the notch it hasnt been flaked.

Nice Fine! I find alot of those out here. That is not a tang knife. What you have there is a multi-tool, a spokeshave at the bottom and a knife/ gouge at the top. A tang knife would have two notches for hafting. Nice find otherwise.

Nice Fine! I find alot of those out here. That is not a tang knife. What you have there is a multi-tool, a spokeshave at the bottom and a knife/ gouge at the top. A tang knife would have two notches for hafting. Nice find otherwise.

As i said tang knife i meant that in relation to its look tang knives had definite intentions of design.

Not all had two notches either. I posted a photo from Overstreet earlier in this thread of the one notch type.

on a side note I love tang instant drink mix that stuffs killer and astronauts drink it :icon_thumright:

You ain't right... it seems to me that even if typed a Waller knife that notch created a tang for hafting. We all agree its a knife.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back