Apple Cider Vinegar Continues To Amaze Me

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Below are some recent axe head finds. Recently, I've been removing the rust on iron by soaking in apple cider vinegar. See this post: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/todays-finds/283635-ax-head-restoration-video.html

But I discovered something additional about using ACV - and it really helps if you're very busy. These two axe heads were found on a local farm. After knocking off the loose dirt and rust, I put them both in a batch of ACV and just left them. That was about a month ago. Normally, I go back every 24-48 hours, remove the iron piece and give it a vigorous brushing, repeating that process over a week or two and typically changing out the vinegar once or twice. Not this time. I just put them in the ACV and left them. I kept putting off working on them, had a daughter get married and just busy with a lot of other things. Well, yesterday I decided to work on them and, to my amazement, when I took them out of the vinegar, they required only one steel wire brushing. As you can tell from the pitting, both of these old boys were VERY rusty. A lot of folks just toss these relics in the scrap pile. Not me. The second set of photos is actually a Kelly True Temper Perfect axe head and I've seen these on EBAY selling in the $65 - $95 dollar range.

Something else I learned - I was having trouble with "flash" rusting after brushing and putting in the oven to bake and remove any remaining moisture. Someone here on TNET mentioned using cooking oil. So, after brushing and rinsing with water, I towel dried them and used a paper towel to apply some canola oil. That did the trick. NO FLASH RUST. You see the final results below. The Kelly axe head still has a little bit of surface rust, but not much. I'll work on it a bit more, but the other one - no rust at all left. Thanks for looking! (Send me the discarded axe heads you don't want :laughing7:)

Attachments

• axe_1.JPG
    axe_1.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 239
  • axe_2.JPG
    axe_2.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 239
  • axe_TT.JPG
    axe_TT.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 235
  • axe_TT2.JPG
    axe_TT2.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Upvote 7
Thanks! Yes, I replied on your padlock thread. I found one identical and cleaned up, but that was before I discovered ACV. I used electrolysis and Rust Converter on mine. ACV would have worked better, I believe.

Yes, you did... sorry... still a tad groggy this morning! Anyway, ACV is great. I have to get bigger tubs. My Tupperware will only hold so much!

Well looks like I'am going to Krogers today. Very nice work, (THANKS) for all your tips.

Well looks like I'am going to Krogers today. Very nice work, (THANKS) for all your tips.

One more tip!! Get latex/rubber gloves. The stuff doesn't wash off easy!

You're welcome. Everyone here has always been so helpful to me with ID'ing things and advice, I'm glad I could offer some tips.

One more tip!! Get latex/rubber gloves. The stuff doesn't wash off easy!

Yes, good advice, I should have mentioned that. That stuff gets really nasty and can be caustic. Definitely wear rubber gloves when working in it.

That stuff did awesome work on those. I may have to start digging more big iron targets and give this treatment a try.

OK, I just picked up a gallon of the stuff (Apple Cider Vinegar)...my bottle says 5% acidity and the ingredients are (is) apple juice. OK let's see how it works. I am going to try it on a heavily encrusted 1864 IH cent and a rusted piece of iron that I found. The white vinegar worked well for me on that livery button--anyone know the typical acidity of white vinegar?

OK, I just picked up a gallon of the stuff (Apple Cider Vinegar)...my bottle says 5% acidity and the ingredients are (is) apple juice. OK let's see how it works. I am going to try it on a heavily encrusted 1864 IH cent and a rusted piece of iron that I found. The white vinegar worked well for me on that livery button--anyone know the typical acidity of white vinegar?

5% is typical for ACV. I'd be careful with that IH. I've not used the ACV on anything other than iron, so I have no idea how it will treat copper.

This IH has some weird concretion on it--from what I don't know. Let's just call this an experiment...I won't leave it in the vinegar for too long. Now, off to examine the acidity levels of some of my wife's kitchen vinegar :laughing7:

5% is typical for ACV. I'd be careful with that IH. I've not used the ACV on anything other than iron, so I have no idea how it will treat copper.

This IH has some weird concretion on it--from what I don't know. Let's just call this an experiment...I won't leave it in the vinegar for too long. Now, off to examine the acidity levels of some of my wife's kitchen vinegar :laughing7:

Yeah, be careful with that too. My wife was none too happy when she went to make a salad and I informed her I had commandeered her vinegar!

Erik, let us know how it goes. For the iron piece at least, what I discovered works pretty well is, after 2 days soaking, I take it out (with rubber gloves) and see what rust I can gently scrape off with my thumb and pointer finger... then I re-soak. You'll actually see the ACV start to fizzle a bit.

GREAT restoration job on these! I am trying madly to get through all my iron relics and preserve them. I almost made my goal back in 2010 of restoring all my iron relics from my decades of digging in Virginia. Now they're starting to accumulate again. Strangely, it's always the big farm implements and tools that get the neglect from me. Stirrups, military relics, shell fragments, etc get the ACV right away. I prolly have 10 axes and 5 hammers right now waiting. I think part of it is the dread of where in the world I'll have space to display them once they make it in out of the "iron bucket." Thank you for recommending such a great cleaning method!

-Buck

Last edited:
GREAT restoration job on these! I am trying madly to get through all my iron relics and preserve them. I almost made my goal back in 2010 of restoring all my iron relics from my decades of digging in Virginia. Now they're starting to accumulate again. Strangely, it's always the big farm implements and tools that get the neglect from me. Stirrups, military relics, shell fragments, etc get the ACV right away. I prolly have 10 axes and 5 hammers right now waiting. I think part of it is the dread of where in the world I'll have space to display them once they make it in out of the "iron bucket." Thank you for recommending such a great cleaning method!

-Buck

Sure thing Buck - glad to be of service. Gonna pick up some handles for these axe heads of mine today.

I have had my two nice axe heads soaking for about 3 days. One is just about done and the other needs one more day. Can I use olive oil to preserve them after the apple cider vinegar? Or do I need to use a different oil?

Try a thin coat refined pure bees wax (not the stuff with added chemicals that you can find a Home Depot).

Try a thin coat refined pure bees wax (not the stuff with added chemicals that you can find a Home Depot).

Thank you for the tip. I am heading away for a few days and am looking at what I have around the house. I want to bring the axes with me to show my family. I don't have any bee's wax, I think I just have gun oil, chain saw oil, and olive oil. I could get some bee's wax at a health store or candle shop on my way I suppose.

I have had my two nice axe heads soaking for about 3 days. One is just about done and the other needs one more day. Can I use olive oil to preserve them after the apple cider vinegar? Or do I need to use a different oil?

3 in 1 seems to work well for me.

Nice ax heads. I'd seen someone else mention ACV, but the use wasn't mentioned in that reply. I don't dig much iron, but I'll keep this in the back of my noggin.

My dad was a Farrier and when we made things on his forge or wanted to preserve old horseshoes and other things that would rust he always recommended Bees Wax and Linseed oil. I suppose other natural plant oils would work also. I have items treated this way and they have looked great for years. Just warm both together untill the wax melts and apply with a rag or brush.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back