12-6-09 PIN 002.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,609
  • 12-6-09 PIN 002.jpg
    12-6-09 PIN 002.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,615
  • 12-6-09 PIN back 003.jpg
    12-6-09 PIN back 003.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,135
Re: Anyone know what these letters stand for on this pin...?

Fast_Dave said:
I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but I don't think we can solve this one by sheer guesswork.
Amen. ::) Unless you can guess the lottery numbers.

Were looking at a mid to late 19th century monogram and we need a pic of the back.

Upvote 0
Thanks all for trying...I have been searching for a design all over but still haven't found one yet....
I had to break away the screw thing to see the letters / name on the back. I didn't want to but I had no choice.

It says JEWEL EMBLEM CHICAGO

I googled it but it wasn't any help.

Upvote 0
DP BOB said:
Thanks all for trying...I have been searching for a design all over but still haven't found one yet....
I had to break away the screw thing to see the letters / name on the back. I didn't want to but I had no choice.

It says JEWEL EMBLEM CHICAGO

I googled it but it wasn't any help.
Im sorry you broke it but thanks for the new clue. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
I see CSA. I am by no means saying that this stands for Confederate States of America, as I think it is much later than that, but it is stylized very similar to the pics below, especially the bottom one.

Here is a logo I found very similar, but with no attribution of what it went to, stood for, or where it come from.
csa_logo.jpg

Here is a Confederate logo that the link wont pull up, just an image search thumbnail.
1d114e03fdd6a1a4.jpg

Upvote 0
72cheyenne said:
I see CSA. Not Confederate CSA but just a CSA logo.

Here is a logo I found very similar, but with no attribution of what it went to, stood for, or where it come from.
I think you are on to something. I never did believe that it was the Greek letter Pi. Good work Cheyenne.

It may be CSA or SCA or ACS or ASC or CAS or SAC or .....

Upvote 0
Put the A at the end for Association, America, Academy, Authority or Agriculture and it narrows it down a few thousand combinations lol. But Im just guessing. Ill put my money on CSA or SCA, now that we have this good detective work by Cheyenne. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
Reminder ...

Don't forget the "M"

:dontknow:
There is no M, Bob, IMO. Its the bottom half of the A. Look at the pics that Cheyenne posted.

And BTW there is no Pi or lily. Its the top half of the A.

Sorry about Magdalen College. It was a million to one longshot.

Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
Reminder ...

Don't forget the "M"

:dontknow:
There is no M, Bob, IMO. Its the bottom half of the A. Look at the pics that Cheyenne posted.

Yes I believe that the "A" runs from the top to bottom of the piece. Entwined monograms can be confusing to sort out.

Upvote 0
I disagree!

The top of my "M" is pointed and doesn't connect to the upper letter/symbol

I acknowledge 72cheyenne's "A's" having the V cross ... but I honestly believe it's still open to interpretation!

Upvote 0
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
I disagree!

I think its underneath part of the S intertwined. Like Cheyenne said these old monograms are very confusing to sort out. I also think its more likely that an old monogram will be made up of letters not symbols. I think its solvable now.

Upvote 0
just throwing in a few cents worth.... why not C. S. Am (america?) like 72cheyenne pictures support. on the flag! wow!

bigcy (always) and 72cheyenne (fantastic locating pictures) amazing work!

Upvote 0
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
I'm just moving the photo down so I don't have to keep scrolling to the top.

great idea moving that down....
just want to say that any posts deserve everyone's thanks!!! never know when one persons extreme ideas may help anothers! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
I disagree!

I acknowledge 72cheyenne's "A's" having the V cross ... but I honestly believe it's still open to interpretation!

i tried drawing a cross bar 'v' that did not have a point where it connects to the 'S'. in this case it made the lower half look like an 'M'. so i would think if they wanted it to be an 'M' they would have chose a 'flat top' 'M'. designating more so an 'M'

:dontknow: :icon_scratch: :sign13:

Upvote 0
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
I'm just moving the photo down so I don't have to keep scrolling to the top.

Thank You LOL

Upvote 0
I appreciate all the thoughts that are going into this....I myself have looked at least 100 different sites and combination for the letters... This one is going to stump me.....

If it was only easy.......

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back