Any idea what this is?

jude061

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
I am hoping someone can identify this item. I found it on a field in northeastern Massachusetts that was used in 1861 as a training field for the Danvers Light Infantry, a unit of the Mass. Volunteer Militia. A patch of exposed granite ledge nearby has engravings of the unit's insignia and the initials of several soldiers. The land has been farmland since the late seventeenth century. We also found a large buckle, presumably from horse tack, and a spent .38-40 cartridge casing.
The item is appears to be made of copper or copper alloy, and is approximately 1/8 inch thick and very malleable -- almost too thin to be furniture hardware. My guess, based on the tabs and the fixture on the forked end, is that it was some form of clasp that was affixed to leather or fabric.
Any info on the item's identification and age and origin would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6445.JPG
    IMG_6445.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_6444.JPG
    IMG_6444.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_6443.JPG
    IMG_6443.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 285
Looks like part of a decorative strap hinge, possibly from a trunk

Upvote 0
It's not sturdy enough to be furniture hardware; it's extremely soft.

Upvote 0
I've showed some friends this item, and all are stymied. An absence of screw or tack holes and its comparably flimsy construction probably rule out any kind of hinge or strapping. The end opposite the trefoil reminds me of a socket where a stud might slide in and lock. The tabs on the back of it suggest to me that they're a means of affixing the object to something like fabric or leather.

I went back and reviewed my research notes on the site where we were detecting to see if I missed anything. The use as a muster field is well-documented, and local tradition speculates that it may have been used as a drill ground for the militia during the French and Indian Wars. However, I'm fairly certain that it was not used as anything other than pastureland before 1860, based on colonial records of the pre-revolutionary war training field being closer to the meeting house, approximately a mile away (which I hope to investigate further once the snow clears). A tavern dating to the early 18th century was also nearby, and I located that site in the late fall. Redware shards, rush light glass, pipe stems, and nails confirm that there was an early 18th century structure on the site, presumably the tavern.

The civil-war-era field allegedly produced a cannonball when a former resident was clearing the land. The current resident sought me out through an acquaintance to offer to let us detect the property, but as I mentioned in a previous post, all we found besides the mystery object were rusted livestock equipment and a rifle cartridge.

The sharpness of the item's edges lead me to believe that it is later that the colonial period, and dates to at least the industrial era. The patina is heavy, but the item isn't corroded, which, again, in the acidic soil of the area leads me to believe it hasn't spent 300 years underground. But I can't be certain until I learn what exactly it is and what it was used for.

Upvote 0
a simple guess...it rather reminds me of a book clasp piece..
download.jpg...images.jpg

Upvote 0
Great job doing the work on the History of the sites. Hopefully your tavern site pays off.

Upvote 0
I'm more of a researcher than hunter. I actually got into MDing as a result of researching sites mostly 17th and early 18th century local places. Found quite a few actually, just haven't had the time to get out to them. This outing was sort of a favor to someone; I've been more focused on a possible shipwreck lately. The "upside" to the snow is that it allows time to research, although I'm itching to get to digging again.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back